Whats the point of an event ID??

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Guys

We have a problem with office, event ID 1000

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=1000&eventno=984&source=Microsoft%20Office%2010&phase=1

This website gives many answers so whats the point of an event ID if it does not lead to an exact solution

Lee H

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    unfortunately some of the event id's are useless, but most of them correlate to something useful.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quite often the event ID means somthing to the developer that wrote the software or class, but was never documented. Similar to those cryptic error messages that sofware spits out, it's a case of "this error should never occur but let's put an if statement, or a catch block that creates an error message we can use later" thought as the developer was writing the code (atleast that is what I was thinking when I did things like that, ie checking for a divide by zero before you do it, and saying well it should never be zero but just in case). I guess the other sde to the story includes the fact that companies charge for support, it makes it so you need to call and shell out some money to find out what an error/event ID really means.

And like blargoe said, someties they help.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    There is no standard list of event log IDs or messages. Any application or service running under Windows can write to the Windows event logs. The event ID, event description, and data in each event messages is determined by the program logging the event. It is therefore the responsibility of the program's maintainer to document and publish all of the events and associated information that the program may write to any of the event logs. As dtlokee and blargoe have pointed out, this is often not done and it makes the event ID value useless.

For more and detailed information on Windows Event Logging, try and find a copy of this excellent, out-of-print book. The author is a really cool guy. icon_wink.gif

1565925149_cat.gif
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I have heard of that author before icon_wink.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    There is no standard list of event log IDs or messages. Any application or service running under Windows can write to the Windows event logs. The event ID, event description, and data in each event messages is determined by the program logging the event. It is therefore the responsibility of the program's maintainer to document and publish all of the events and associated information that the program may write to any of the event logs. As dtlokee and blargoe have pointed out, this is often not done and it makes the event ID value useless.

For more and detailed information on Windows Event Logging, try and find a copy of this excellent, out-of-print book. The author is a really cool guy. icon_wink.gif

1565925149_cat.gif

There are a few copies of this book remaining on amazon plus a few reviews. I like old books and you can get lots of used or out of print books that can prove invaluable for just a few dollars on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Event-Logging-OReilly-Nutshell/dp/1565925149/ref=sr_1_1/002-4145244-9131222?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192213361&sr=8-1