Options

vpn

badpapajjbadpapajj Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am new at working with VPNs, I am working with Windows XP at my office and home and two other employees at their home. I would like to set up a VPN to be able to connect to my office computer even when someone else is logged in at the same time, and have security. I have DSL and am working with "Go to my PC" but I cannot log in when someone else is logged on. So my questions are; Do I need anything special as far as hardware to start and install a VPN? What are the steps to install a VPN in the office PC (main) and the other PCs? How do I begin (Installation Process and after it is installed) How do I start the VPN connection to the office from another PC? Tell me everything I need to know as if you were instructing a new student (or baby). Thank you very much.
Helping, just makes you feel good.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There are many different ways to set up a VPN. Check here for starters www.google.com. If you have any specific questions I'm sure people will be more than happy to help you out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    badpapajj wrote:
    I would like to set up a VPN to be able to connect to my office computer even when someone else is logged in at the same time, and have security. I have DSL and am working with "Go to my PC" but I cannot log in when someone else is logged on.
    A VPN is only a secure network connection between your computer at home and a router or VPN concentrator at your office. Using a VPN with remote desktop software will not allow two or more people to logon to a single Windows computer at the same time. To do this, Windows Terminal Services is often the solution.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yup if you want independant console sessions (i.e. you're both on the same machine but working completely separately) then go with Terminal Services Server. If you want to be able to view and access from the same desktop (for collaborative sessions) you could use VNC as it will share Mouse/Keyboard/Display etc., just be prepared for mouse-wars :). UltraVNC has installable encryption plugins, but inside an existing VPN they shouldn't be necessary. If you are direct connecting just using forwarded ports on your DSL router use the encryption plugins though (very easy to configure).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    badpapajjbadpapajj Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you ,will look into these.
    Helping, just makes you feel good.
  • Options
    2BEDB4112BEDB411 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A VPN is only a secure network connection between your computer at home and a router or VPN concentrator at your office. Using a VPN with remote desktop software will not allow two or more people to logon to a single Windows computer at the same time. To do this, Windows Terminal Services is often the solution.

If I remember correctly, Windows ( 2K ) Terminal Server allows, "out-of-box' 2 "user" connections, and unlimited "Admin" connections (like thats really necessary) or was that vice-versa.

I just remember for multiple clients, you'll need additional licensing. Not sure about 2k3 .

Also a fun fact I was told by someone that the Win TS engine was actually provided by Citrix.
    And it does work nicely.