Options

file and folder permission confusion

im wondering if a file and folder permission work in a workgroup or its only applicable for a domain. doing it in a standalone pc means youre working with local users and group, so im also doubting if i can use it in a workgroup. pls enlighten me.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In a workgroup you have to make an user account on every machine with the same password and username then set up your file permissions. It work fine but just starts getting cumbersome when you have to change passwords or account settings depending on the amount of workstations you have.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Mishra wrote:
    In a workgroup you have to make an user account on every machine with the same password and username then set up your file permissions. It work fine but just starts getting cumbersome when you have to change passwords or account settings depending on the amount of workstations you have.

thnks for the reply. im trying it but when setting the permission to add user who can access the folder theres no way to browse a user or group. all it can see are local users and built in groups.
    i think im missing something .... icon_confused.gif pls help
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just do like Mirsha said - you have to create the exact same users (and groups if necessary) on each and every machine, make sure they use the same password on all machines as well (per user). That way when you select the local user "Joe" to have access to a file, as long as "Joe" is created on the other computers with the same password, he will have access even though you had to select the local user "Joe".

So if "Joe" with the password "P@ssw0rd" logs on to Computer1, then wants to access a share on Computer2, as long as Computer2 has a local user "Joe" with the password "P@ssw0rd" with appropriate permissions to the file, then "Joe" on Computer1 will have access.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    your problem is browsing for the existing users and groups while assigning NTFS permissions, right?
    ladiesman217, after you do what the folks told you, go to the Properties of the folder->Security-> under Groups and Usernames, click Add ->Advanced->Find Now
    you'll get a list of all built-in groups, user-defined groups and user accounts. Select the one you want and click OK.