Options

Career Situation

deftonez99deftonez99 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So here is my situation. I am 24 years old and in December I will have completed my associates in networking at the local c.c. Now my next step is either to transfer my credits to a four year university for my bachelors in MIS or start studying for certs, find an entry level job and work my way up in the field to get the much needed work experience. The university that I would be attending costs 20K per year and i would have to go for two years. So, right when i graduate i will be 40K in debt. So do you think employers would rather hire someone with a associates in networking, a bachelors in MIS, with little or no work experience? Or someone with an associates in networking with some certs and work experience? Upon browsing IT jobs on monster and hot jobs etc. I notice some employers looking for people with a bachelors degree, while others don't specify a degree and just want someone with field experience. Now in days do bachelors degrees even mean much in the IT field? I am stuck between what would be best for me. So i would appreciate anyones feedback on my situation.

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    here's my take on that type of situation...I'm 22 and will be completing my Bachelors in MIS this December. My plan is to have my CCNA to go along with that as well, but most universities will encourage you to get some field experience and you can earn credits towards the degree with that. I started working full time last January and this summer took a 9 credit Internship which was very nice. I earned all of my certs while working and going to school and i could've taken more courses geared towards a certifications. Also on the experience note a buddy of mine has work at 4 different places in his 3 years in college as an intern...so there is a lot of work out there for college students. depending on if your school has a contract with www.monstertrak.com they post internships constantly for students to apply for...I was offered an internship at Carnegie Mellon University through them...so I'd say go for the Bachelors in my personal opinion it will pay off in the end and you'll be glad you got it finished when you were younger i'm so stoked to be finished this fall and get a better job.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    deftonez99 wrote:
    . So do you think employers would rather hire someone with a associates in networking, a bachelors in MIS, with little or no work experience? ...... I am stuck between what would be best for me. So i would appreciate anyones feedback on my situation.

Well, for me personally...I"m a HUGE Dave Ramsey fan. And not because what he teaches saved my butt...but because I was ironically brought up to never use debt and later in life found him on the radio (mortage is a different topic) and therefore I attended college and paid for it so when I completed college...I began work (actually continued working) and was in the market without a debt looming over my head.

I'd say if you can only afford a few classes at a time and you need to work and balance it and it take you an extra 2-4 years to complete...so what? There is no rush to hit the market (IMNSHO) and if you can begin your career with some connections AND without debt...I'll bet you'll feel a lot less stress and will make better long-term decisions.

Employers don't care in most cases if you have 'x' pedigree or 'y' pedigree and the amount of debt....UNLESS you may be looking at a job that requires a good deal of risk on their part to hire you and they run a background check....the debt may or may not be favorable.

my 5 cents...I'd work and go to school and not have the debt.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Education and Experience is important. You also need to plan the future and you might have to take out loan. Do not stop your education and learn it while you still young, build a good foundation. OK.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    I didn't read all of it, but I would get the AA work on certs and look for a entry level job. Then from there see if the job has any type of tuition assistance. Being 40K in debt is a bad move trust me. I date plenty of women who have massive school debt who all say its not worth it. If it takes you 4-6 years for your BS and its free or little out of you pocket, I would say you would be happeier in the end. Also once you finish with the work experience you would be jumping into a better job anyways.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I would say try to get something part time while you work on your BS. If you read around the forum you will notice that weather you have an AS or BS its going to be hard to get that first job with out experience. If you have some good part time helpdesk or other IT experience before you graduate, your chances of coming out of school and finding a good job will be increased dramaticly. You can work onb the certs later once you have a job in IT. Certs and no experience are not going to help you out much either. The certifications should go along with your experience not the other way around. Good luck in what ever path you choose.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have an A.A.S and I went out to the workforce to get a job. I wanted to find a job that I'm stable at and that offers tuition reimbursement to ease my school debt a lot. It only took me about 3 years to become a high level admin with good pay (you have to work hard for it) and just now I'm starting my certs. The most important thing was impressing people in the interview and writing a good resume, not certs or experience. Not saying I don't know anything, knowledge also provided good technical interview skills, but you can definitely make it without degrees and certs. Just don't forget about them.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!