Options

network engineer salary question

MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey, all -

I have an interview next week for a network engineer position in RI. I currently have my CCNA & about 6 months experience working in a NOC supporting field techs installing new network equipment. I also have a masters, but it's in psychology.

Here is an excerpt from the job description:

responsible for providing support to our client base and internal team members. Solid working knowledge of networking technologies including TCP/IP, Switches, Routers, & Firewalls. Working toward Cisco CCNP, CCSP, CCVP or CCIE.

This role acts as a first level escalation point for level 1 Engineers in addition to managing a personal workload. This engineer will need to engage other resources including clients, vendors, escalation points, and management in order to resolve problems in a timely manner.

My question is, how much $$ should I ask for if they ask me what kind of salary I'm looking for. I know this is a difficult question to answer because it involves so many factors, but I don't want to ask for too little (or too much). I've been stressing over this for the last week. Help, please! icon_confused.gif

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You are right about too many factors. With only six months experience you aren't going to be able to demand a lot thats for sure. You need to look at the cost of living in your area and the average of people with your level of experience not the horrible salary averages from some survey. You could always just shoot for the moon!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should work out number ahead of time that you are willing to work for, then when the question comes up answer it with a question, "what does the position pay?". It's a negotiation, they know it and shouldn't get offended by such a request. Remember, the one who says a number first looses. If they are offering a range and your number is within the range then throw it out there. If they answer your question with a "We need a number" then give them a range, with your number at the low end and maybe add 20% for the high end, don't say $50,000- $150,000 - they'll most likely throw you out. The potential employer will have a number they're lookign to pay, and just like the Price is Right, you'll either be too high or too low, so let them speak first.

As an employer, I want to pay somone what they're worth. If I pay them too little I know they'll just go looking for a new job elsewhere.

As long as you can build your case for why tthe company should hire you and the value that you bring to the table, the money will come, if you walk in and say "how much does it pay" you'll not get very far.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mysql1988mysql1988 Member Posts: 115
    I have 3 years of experience but am still not taking anything under 60K.

It doesn't neccesary depend on experience like some people say. FIRST IMPRESSION IS EVERYTHING. MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION. Make sure you know what you say you know on your resume and try to impress them as much as possible
    you can never have a second chance at a first impression

--my mom
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

60k might be equivilent to 30k in another place thats why it is hard to through a number out to someone when you don't really have any specifics. Where I originally from 60k after three years is a low, but where I am now 60k after three years is little high. Damn price of living!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I just entered all my relevant info (education, area of country, experience, etc.) on PayScale.com & it gave me a median of $52,000. It matched up with salary.com. I'm not sure if I should trust these numbers though.
  • Options
    JammywanksJammywanks Member Posts: 127
    I asked for $55k a year for desktop support... except its a 2nd shift (3pm to 11pm) and also... I must do a lot of traveling, between Brooklyn and Queens. Um... still not even worth it dude. I've been in some areas over there and some of those people are not very nice.
    CCNA Lab: Two 1720's, one 2520, two 2924XL switches
    [IPCop box] PIII 1GHz | 512MB RAM | 1 Gig Compact Flash HD
    Errors in your CCNA text book? Never mind, the authors don't care.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    With just the CCNA and 6 months experience, I would have said 35K-45K. You have a masters degree, I would shoot for the low end of your potential at 60K.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Ask for what you are worth. It also depends on what the company is willing to pay a Network Engineer. Are there Network Admins and Network Analysts employed? Where I'm at, 60K is a VERY GOOD salary, and that is what I would ask/accept for with 50K being the lowest if the position will lead me to a higher paying position or more money in the near future.

In my area, 40K will provide a comfortable living IMO.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As a reference, I am a graduating senior who received a job offer to join a IT training program (in the networking group) within a large financial firm in the NYC area, and I received an offer of 60k a year with a signing bonus. I just got my CCNA in September (after the job offer) and I am almost ready to take the BSCI in a few weeks. I am about to graduate in May 2008 with an Bachelors degree in IT. I have 5 years of professional experience in IT consulting and such for smaller to medium sized businesses which have various IT needs. I have also interned with the firm I was given the offer from.

Several of my friends who also have their CCNA, but are 5 year graduates in IS received 70k - 80k with a signing bonus. Some of these individuals are entering training programs at the companies some are entering straight up network groups.

I just wanted to help you get a feel some of the job market in the NYC area w/ financial firms. It all depends on first impression and whether you are passionate and knowledgeable about your job. If you have a CCNA and cannot speak about everything it covers you are sunk. If you do not have a CCNA and know everything about it & more (BGP, wireless, security, & etc), the company will no doubt love you.
  • Options
    KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work for a decent sized Telecommunication's Company and the big thing ya have to look at is what sort of talent are they looking for from an Engineer. Some ISP's will drop the money and get the guy's that have 10-15 year's as Engineer's and pay em 100k+/yr. With my current company most guys come straight from college and know the theory on paper on how it is supposed to work, but have not used the equipment they are telling us tech's in the field to install. These guys generally start out at around 40,000/yr.

Hand's on experience imo is what will get your dollar figure up there, especially as an engineer. If your dealing with Special Circuit's, T1, Fiber, DLC's etc, having the understanding and know how to design the network and troubleshoot it is priceless. Having the college doesnt hurt, but employer's are getting smarter and realizing some people are just good at taking test's.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    60K will be good salary for network engineer. As your experience grow with the job. You will get pay over 75K easy.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, they offered the job to someone else. I had asked for $50K when asked what kind of salary I was looking for. A guy that I work with interviewed for the same job & he said that he didn't think they'd pay more than $40K. Oh, well. I'll just have to keep looking. I'll keep in mind what you all have said.
  • Options
    bowlerspbowlersp Inactive Imported Users Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mysql1988 wrote:

It doesn't neccesary depend on experience like some people say. FIRST IMPRESSION IS EVERYTHING. MAKE A GOOD FIRST IMPRESSION. Make sure you know what you say you know on your resume and try to impress them as much as possible
    you can never have a second chance at a first impression

--my mom

I agree. it is all about the first impression. try to be smart yet have a sense of humor. second, experience isn't everything. trust me i know first hand, i work with guys who have been in networking for 15+ years and i am always showing them stuff and i have been doing network infrastructure for less than 2 years. It all depends on the person's motivation!!
    **studying for my JNCIS-ER and BSCI**