Prep Time - Two Weeks Realistic?

minindaymininday Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So, I just accepted a new job as a IS Field Engineer and I have yet to pass any of the MCSE exams. I want to start at the area where I have the most experience, Windows XP. I have approxiamately four years experience in XP, but have not begun studying book wise at all.

The certification isn't required for the job, but it would definitely help. I start the job on Nov. 12th. Do you think if I study hard enough in 2-3 weeks, I can get er' done? Anybody had a similar situation?

I want to get started on the right foot with this company.

Comments

• gregrnelgregrnel Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, MS has a free second chance right now, if you fail, you get a free retake....you have to go to the ms cert website and sign up first. I'd schedule one now, sign up for the free retake, study like mad for the next two weeks and go for it. Good luck!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you know...

about load state/scan state?
    what USMT stands for and what it is?
    Exactly how to troubleshoot share/NTFS permissions perfectly (no trail and error) and what deny access does?
    How to migrate a FAT file system to NTFS?
    What can't you do with encryption and compression and what they do?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you used, or do you at least know how to use RIS?

Can you create unattended answer files by using Setup Manager to automate the installation of Windows XP Professional?

Do you know how to connect to an Internet printer?

How about troubleshooting access to and synchronization of offline files?

Do you know the subtle differences between disks, volumes and partitions in a Microsoft world?

Can you install and trouble shoot things like cameras, Infrared, USB and wireless devices?

Do you know when to use the recovery console, and what to do with it? When should you use last known good, safe mode, or system restore?

How about VPNs, ICS, IIS, ICF and EFS?

Finally, are you familair with Local Security Policy?

In other words, how familiar are you with the posted "Skills Being Measured"?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/exams/70-270.mspx

I guess the caution I am trying to make you aware of (or maybe you already are aware) is that the 70-270 is not a hard test, but it will test your knowledge on things you don't typically use every day even as a technician. That's how people with several years experience can have a hard time with this exam - it catches them off guard.

Either way, check out the link, decide if you are ready, and then.... Good luck! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • minindaymininday Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. These are the kind of answers I was hoping for. I understand that although I do know a lot about XP, there is a lot of 'behind the scenes' stuff that I don't. I think I am going to take advantage of the free retake voucher. I'd like to get started on the right foot with my company, because there is a lot of opportunity to grow.