Options

Pleaseany advice

mr rainmr rain Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
icon_redface.gif

Hi,I would really appreciate if I can get some help or advice.I graduated from a business and computing degree, I never used it, and I work in a total different field, with no career prospect.i'm trying to get a carer in te IT industry but I don't know where to start. i don't have the experience, any idea?? e.g. courses, or work. I like programing and technical issues.so sorry if i'm wasting your time.

P.S. i'm over 30

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    mr rain wrote:
    icon_redface.gif

Hi,I would really appreciate if I can get some help or advice.I graduated from a business and computing degree, I never used it, and I work in a total different field,

You may be surprised you are not alone. Most people I know go to school for one thing and work in a totally different field. I myself could be a CPA, but decided I couldn't possibly be that dull ;) I've friends who have studied things like Forestry and now make tags for pharmacuticals. It happens and it's not the end.
    with no career prospect.i'm trying to get a carer in te IT industry but I don't know where to start. i don't have the experience, any idea?? e.g. courses, or work. I like programing and technical issues.so sorry if i'm wasting your time.

P.S. i'm over 30

Age is not relavent.

Where to start? What do you enjoy and what goals do you have? There are many facets to IT, so probably start by reading about the industry trends and see how that fits your agenda. You can take some classes at a community college, read books, etc... I'm not a professional programmer, but as I understand it...programmers are like artists. Under appreciated many times for what they do, but what they do is a work of love and necessity to society (or at least computers ;) ). If you enjoy coding....then code and see where that leads. There are freelance programmers who write whole programs, programmers who are parts of teams, programers who merely tweak existing code.

So, try your local college...speak with some of the professors and maybe land an internship to see how things fit.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Thanks Plantwiz for the reply

I really appreciate your advice, and I will take it in mind.
    Regards,

:D
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    You are welcome. Keep us posted as you move forward.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    MQuinn6MQuinn6 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz gave you some great advice. I have a degree in psychology & I am currently working in IT (at the age of 35). I started out thinking that I wanted to do programming & took some courses. I realized fairly quickly that it wasn't for me. Then I decided to check out the Cisco Networking Academy at the local community college. I earned my CCNA after taking the courses & I'm now working in a NOC.

My point is, do like Plantwiz said. Explore what's out there & see what aspects of IT you enjoy. You're definitely not alone in changing career paths. It can be difficult because initially the $$ may not be what you're used to making & you'll find yourself at the bottom of the ladder. Sometimes that can get to you, but you just have to keep working hard & think of your long term goals. I feel it's worth it in the end to do something that you really enjoy.

Good luck & let us know how things go.
  • Options
    MQuinn6 wrote:
    Plantwiz gave you some great advice. I have a degree in psychology & I am currently working in IT (at the age of 35). I started out thinking that I wanted to do programming & took some courses. I realized fairly quickly that it wasn't for me. Then I decided to check out the Cisco Networking Academy at the local community college. I earned my CCNA after taking the courses & I'm now working in a NOC.

My point is, do like Plantwiz said. Explore what's out there & see what aspects of IT you enjoy. You're definitely not alone in changing career paths. It can be difficult because initially the $$ may not be what you're used to making & you'll find yourself at the bottom of the ladder. Sometimes that can get to you, but you just have to keep working hard & think of your long term goals. I feel it's worth it in the end to do something that you really enjoy.

Good luck & let us know how things go.

Thanks MQuinn6 for the reply, I'm really happy with all this, I know I had to start somewhere but I was to scared to change carrers.

thanks again and God bless