new job

mallard20mallard20 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let me give some insight to all fellow members. I have been in the IT industry for roughly 2 years, 1 year of that being in school. I currently work help desk and take care of any networking problems that come through the desk. I have been recently handed the security aspect of our department. It consists of the backup, the web firewall and spam firewall and all updates to servers and PCs. I guess what I am looking for is advice or pretty much a road to follow in the right direction on what to read or learn so that I don't turn out to be a dissappointment for this new position and responsibilities. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mallard20 wrote:
    Let me give some insight to all fellow members. I have been in the IT industry for roughly 2 years, 1 year of that being in school. I currently work help desk and take care of any networking problems that come through the desk. I have been recently handed the security aspect of our department. It consists of the backup, the web firewall and spam firewall and all updates to servers and PCs. I guess what I am looking for is advice or pretty much a road to follow in the right direction on what to read or learn so that I don't turn out to be a dissappointment for this new position and responsibilities. Thanks in advance.

sounds like general security concepts are what youre looking for. I recommend Security+ exam. Covers a lot more than backups and firewalls though. It will give you a well rounded education on most security items, along with some topics youll probably never see. Definitely worth it though if you want to get your feet wet in infosec. Maybe you can get your employer to pay for the exam fee? (I did :D )
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Since you have already been hired, I wouldn't stress. But you can crash course in the subject by hitting your local library or a CBT Nugget vidoes.

As far as objectives, security+ is a little tough and esoteric to start with. Make sure you have your basics down (A+) and then networking concepts (CCNA) and maybe move up to more server centric stuff (MCP Windows 2003) and round that off with Security+.

If you think your understanding in subnetting/Switching/routing/server/PC troubleshooting is solid enough, then there is nothing wrong with jumping ahead to Security+.

I started in IT with no background, so I use the certs as a stepping stones. Here's the path I'm taking, right now I just administer a few CRM applications, so I am probably not as hands on as you have the fortune of.

A+ - done
    Net+ - done
    CCNA - done
    MCP Windows XP - in progress
    MCP Windows 2003 - in progress
    MCSA 2003 - next year
    MCSE 2003 - next year
    -Daniel
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Since you have already been hired, I wouldn't stress. But you can crash course in the subject by hitting your local library or a CBT Nugget vidoes.

As far as objectives, security+ is a little tough and esoteric to start with. Make sure you have your basics down (A+) and then networking concepts (CCNA) and maybe move up to more server centric stuff (MCP Windows 2003) and round that off with Security+.

If you think your understanding in subnetting/Switching/routing/server/PC troubleshooting is solid enough, then there is nothing wrong with jumping ahead to Security+.

I started in IT with no background, so I use the certs as a stepping stones. Here's the path I'm taking, right now I just administer a few CRM applications, so I am probably not as hands on as you have the fortune of.

A+ - done
    Net+ - done
    CCNA - done
    MCP Windows XP - in progress
    MCP Windows 2003 - in progress
    MCSA 2003 - next year
    MCSE 2003 - next year

My suggestion was based on his job description, and that general troubleshooting/networking concepts are a given. You are correct, however. Its best to have a good foundation of the basics before hitting Security+,. as mentioned above.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Honestly I would try and setup a test environment at work or if they can't spend the money I would do it at home. Use the products they are using at home and set them up from the ground up trying to get efficient with the product. It sounds like you are getting a really good gig going soon. Hope you do well!
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!