Options

2nd Interview On The Way

dpsdps Member Posts: 116
Hi guys...

I applied for a Network Admin / Tech Support position here near my place and I was interviewed by the IT Manager yesterday. He started the interview by asking me some technical questions like port numbers, DNS, subnets, the OSI layers etc. I pretty much answered most of his questions but there were some questions that I don't have much knowledge on so I had to "pass".

I sent him a thank you e-mail when I got home after the interview and he told me to come in today for a 2nd interview with the company owner and (I think) Project Manager. He told me yesterday during the interview that they are calling the top 3 applicants for the 2nd interview.

What are the usual questions thrown at 2nd interviews and if you have any tips for this, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA.
icon_idea.gif
Focused and Steady.

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    it's hard to say without seeing a job description or experiencing the first interview. I would assume that they would ask more detailed technical questions that were specific to the job description. A lot of times the first interview is to weed out those that don't have the skills, then the second interview is more specific to discover the best match for the position. If they haven't asked already, then be prepared for questions like:

Tell us about a time when you encountered a problem and used creative thinking to resolve the problem.

Tell us about a time when you had a customer/user complaint and how you dealt with that.

Tell us about a time when you worked under pressure.

Be prepared to talk about accomplishments..Try and think about some good stories when you saved a network from complete meltdown. Think about actions of proactivity and going above and beyond. ect... good luck!
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    My biggest complaint for these ones is:

What are some of your weaknesses?

I hate this cause unless you think about exactly what you are going to say to it before you get there you are put on the spot and anything you say as a result of a flare of panic can and will be used against you since its something thats meant to put you on the spot.

Be confident, and I wouldnt say agreeable as in yes man kind of thing but try and understand where they are coming from and find a way to wiggle yourself into a spot that you think they need you for (even though you already know what the position is you are applying for)..

Also emit a relaxed aura (or whatever you call it) if you come off as tense and nervous this makes other people feel the same way.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    Try to choose a weakness that could augment an attribute. Like one of my weaknesses is that sometimes I over analyze a problem that could be simple. INtead of thinking about a simple solution, sometimes I take a more difficult approach than what is necesary. This is a weakness but it lets them know that I am a detailed and analytical thinker. If you can find an approach like this, don't forget to highlight the good side during your explanation. Always turn it around and you MUST be prepared for these questions. If you go into an interview without rehearsing, in your mind these types of questions, then you did not prepare.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    I dont know if thats a good answer for that question as it may show a limiting aspect in your logic/problem solving abilities (no offense to you personally) something that I tend to say is "Sometimes I catch myself bringing my work home and labbing out scenarios which puts me at odds with duties I need to take care of outside of work", if I do say something like this I use a humorous tone and almost avoid the actual question and the mood lifts as we have a laugh. Anyway, good luck.
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    Hmm.. yeah.
    Have to rehearse and prep for these type of Q's
    Thanks for all your input.

:)
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    ya there is no good answer to that question, thats why it is so difficult. You just have to be honest and don't choose a weakness that is going to look really bad.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Play up your strengths, but be completely open and honest. Have a couple of beers before you go in, loosen up and be yourself.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...