Error while Backing up IOS on a 3620 - Any Ideas?

japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm trying to backup IOS ver 11.2 to my tftp server(laptop) so I can upgrade the IOS to newer version. Everything appear to be set up correctly as far as tftp server connectivity to the 3620 and vice-versa and they are talking to each other as is shown by succesful pings from either side. However, I keep getting a timeout error "Timeout error receiving c3620-j-mz.112-16.P from (192.168.2.9), 0 bytes".
I get a similar error trying to upload the new .bin file upto the router, what could possibly be wrong here? Here is what my HT output look like:

Router_3#copy flash tftp

System flash directory:
File Length Name/status
1 4169752 c3620-j-mz.112-16.P
[4169816 bytes used, 29384616 available, 33554432 total]
Address or name of remote host [192.168.2.11]?
Source file name? c3620-j-mz.112-16.P
Destination file name [c3620-j-mz.112-16.P]?
Verifying checksum for 'c3620-j-mz.112-16.P' (file # 1)... OK
Copy 'c3620-j-mz.112-16.P' from Flash to server
as 'c3620-j-mz.112-16.P'? [yes/no]y
Copy aborted - TFTP timeout
Router_3#

Comments

• NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have send and recieve configured on the tftp server? What version of tftp are you using? If you are using a firewall, make sure you have port 69 open.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • japlasmajaplasma Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Netstudent wrote:
    Do you have send and recieve configured on the tftp server? What version of tftp are you using?
    Yes, both are set and I'm using the SolarWinds' TFTP Server version 8.27 September 2005.
    I also tried using Tftpd32 by Ph. Jounin, which seems to have a better interface and much more intuitive, but similar results(same error)
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are there any restricitve permissions set on that inetpub or whatever your tftp root directory is?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Netstudent wrote:
    Are there any restricitve permissions set on that inetpub or whatever your tftp root directory is?
    No, my root is directly of of C:\ and I'm logged in as an administrator to this stand alone laptop
    BTW. Last week, I was able to upload an IOS upgrade .bin file on a 2500 router from the same tftp server successfully - so I'd say there no restrictions on the tftp server
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Can you post us a show flash?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
    mikearama wrote:
    Can you post us a show flash?

Router_3#sh flash

System flash directory:
    File Length Name/status
    1 4169752 c3620-j-mz.112-16.P
    [4169816 bytes used, 29384616 available, 33554432 total]
    32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Router_3#
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you ping the tftp server from the cli?
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    Can you ping the tftp server from the cli?
    Yes...

Router_3#ping 192.168.2.11
    Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.2.11, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/4/8 ms
    Router_3#
  • pabloCr84pabloCr84 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you checked if the image that you're trying to upload is located in the right folder where the tftp server is located in? Probably the server is not finding the image so nothing is being sent to the router. Just an idea.
    pabloCr84 wrote:
    Have you checked if the image that you're trying to upload is located in the right folder where the tftp server is located in? Probably the server is not finding the image so nothing is being sent to the router. Just an idea.
    The image .bin file is in the same root folder as the tftp server(I browsed to it to ensure it's in the right place) , it seem to start to pull the file from the router, but times out, possibly from the tftp sever side... see the timeout error message...

Copy aborted - TFTP timeout
    Router_3#
    I went in there and changed the timeout period of a higher #, like 900 seconds, default I believe is 30 seconds, something like that; that does not help
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is your laptop a Windows machine? Could the Windows firewall be blocking TFTP?
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
    r_durant wrote:
    Yes, its a Windows XP Pro with firewall disabled and no antivirus software running.
    Question, should the ip address of the machine housing the tftp sever( in this case, the Windows XP Pro machine) be the same as the tftp application ip address? I asked because I just noticed that the address shown on the taskbar on the tftp application is 192.168.2.12 while the tftp ip address is 192.168.2.11 and this is the one I'm able to ping from the the router. Now, the other tftp software allows me to ensure that the 192.168.2.11 is the default correct one.... I'm not sure where the SolarWinds tftp server is getting the 192.168.2.12 from, I may have used it initially when I installed the tftp server application
    The tftp server address(the one on the application) should be 127.0.0.1 but on the router you'll need to use your pc ip address as the tftp server ip address.
    pabloCr84 wrote:
    The tftp server address(the one on the application) should be 127.0.0.1 but on the router you'll need to use your pc ip address as the tftp server ip address.
    Are you sure about this?
    You were absolutely right, it works now. Because I could not erase any of the ip addresses on the other two tftp servers, I googled and found a new tftp server (TFTP Desktop) and in it, I didn't have to enter any ip, it just stated on the its taskbar"listening on port 69" and listed my machine's name as the local host next to that. I didn't have to change ip settings on the router and on the XP machine sides.
    I have learned many things today and very grateful to all who have posted replies back to my inqueries... I can't put a price to this site and all the wonderful people who are always available to help others -thank you and God bless you all.
    Yep, because the tftp server needs to operate locally, and as you know 127.0.0.1 is equal to localhost. But once again the ip address that you enter on the router as the ip for the tftp server needs to be the one that you're able to ping. 127.0.0.1 is only for the server application itself. As far as I know this works with tftpd32, settings may change a bit with other applications.
  • r_durantr_durant Member Posts: 486 ■■■□□□□□□□
    japlasma wrote:
    r_durant wrote:
    Yes, its a Windows XP Pro with firewall disabled and no antivirus software running.
    Question, should the ip address of the machine housing the tftp sever( in this case, the Windows XP Pro machine) be the same as the tftp application ip address? I asked because I just noticed that the address shown on the taskbar on the tftp application is 192.168.2.12 while the tftp ip address is 192.168.2.11 and this is the one I'm able to ping from the the router. Now, the other tftp software allows me to ensure that the 192.168.2.11 is the default correct one.... I'm not sure where the SolarWinds tftp server is getting the 192.168.2.12 from, I may have used it initially when I installed the tftp server application

From what I know, if the IP on you NIC is 192.168.2.12, then presumably the IP of the TFTP server on the same machine will be 192.168.2.12. I've never come across a case where the IP of the machine was one thing and the IP of the TFTP was something different... icon_confused.gif

Unless you have more than one NIC in your laptop? Do you? Or maybe you have both ethernet and wireless NICs enabled on the laptop that would give you two IPs??

There was a thread a few weeks ago with a guy having a similar problem, I'll see if I can locate it for you...

Yea, the loopback address is only locally significant...a remote device should never target 127.0.0.1...unless you've done some kind of reconfiguring...
    CCNA (Expired...), MCSE, CWNA, BSc Computer Science
    Working on renewing CCNA!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    japlasma wrote:
    I get a similar error trying to upload the new .bin file upto the router, what could possibly be wrong here?
    Go to the command prompt on your TFTP server machine and do a DIR in your TFTP root directory -- is there a .bin extension on the file that you may not be seeing in windows (due to hide known extensions)?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote:
    japlasma wrote:
    I get a similar error trying to upload the new .bin file upto the router, what could possibly be wrong here?
    Go to the command prompt on your TFTP server machine and do a DIR in your TFTP root directory -- is there a .bin extension on the file that you may not be seeing in windows (due to hide known extensions)?
    problem solved, see afew posts above. Thank you.
    Unless you have more than one NIC in your laptop? Do you? Or maybe you have both ethernet and wireless NICs enabled on the laptop that would give you two IPs?? There was a thread a few weeks ago with a guy having a similar problem, I'll see if I can locate it for you...

Yea, the loopback address is only locally significant...a remote device should never target 127.0.0.1...unless you've done some kind of reconfiguring...[/quote]
    Man! You guys are good!!, could even think about the fact that wireless in my garage on the machine I'm writing on, which also happen to be the tftp server - so yes, the 192.168.2.12 is the dhcp issued by my wireless router in the house - good catch r_durant!