Options

Job market in London, UK: Is it as good as the accent?

How good is the job market in London, UK? I have some family and friends down there and have been encouraged to look into getting a job there.

I think it's going to be tough. First, how am I going to get a work permit? If Britons themselives are looking for jobs, how employers are going to offer me a job here? If I go to London, are employers going to offer me a job if I don't have work permit? Looks to like catch 22. People I know there have no clue about IT, so I won't have any contacts.

I've briefly been to London; I found people were polite and helpful and I liked the land and the wheather is not harsh. And I like British accent mate :)

Can you please shade some light about job prospects and ways to get there.

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    How good is the job market in London, UK? I have some family and friends down there and have been encouraged to look into getting a job there.

I think it's going to be tough. First, how am I going to get a work permit? If Britons themselives are looking for jobs, how employers are going to offer me a job here? If I go to London, are employers going to offer me a job if I don't have work permit? Looks to like catch 22. People I know there have no clue about IT, so I won't have any contacts.

I've briefly been to London; I found people were polite and helpful and I liked the land and the wheather is not harsh. And I like British accent mate :)

Can you please shade some light about job prospects and ways to get there.

Can't help on the work permit side of things, but you will need it, as do all my japanese colleagues. But being canadian with a degree and work experience in IT (i remember from your previous posts) you shouldnt have any problems....if you do then my god i would be surprised.

London is a great city to work in and socialize (this is truely a metropolitan city), it's expensive though, be warned. I live on the outskirts of london (on the zones 1-5 of city travel im on 5 basically) It takes me 45 mins door to door to central London. You would be looking to pay about £400-450 for rent or £850-900 (if you don't want a flat/room mate). Travel is about £152 montly or x10 for annual ticket (thats all zones).

In terms of jobs available? There are loads, and I mean loads, requiring variety of skill and knowledge of different vendor equipment. www.reed.co.uk for more uk job info.

Hope this is of some help mate, ill add stuff if you have any further questions or just pm me.

Good luck mate!
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.