Options

Can I setup Exchange as an email server with only one server

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm looking at setting up an exchange server for my organization. This is my first foray into exchange, and I'm trying to get an idea of what I'm going to need for hardware and software. Just from my initial reading, I've found that the edge transport role must be installed on a separate server, and it looks like the edge transport server is the server that communicates with the outside world. Is there any way I can get this going with one server or am I going to be forced to use two?

Also, does the license allow me to put the edge transport role on another server with just one copy of the software, or must I purchase a second?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may want to watch the 24 hours of exchange webcasts. I think your questions are covered in the first couple. You will want to verify this, but it is my understanding that if you installed 1 exchange 2007 server the hub transport role will perform the operations that the edge transport woud handle in a multiple server environment. I also believe that is you have a server running edge it will need a second Exchange license.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll check those out as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice!