Options

MS Press book Lab Problem

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi

Has anyone used the MS Training Kit book by Dan Holme and Orin Thomas I think it is refered to as an MS Press book. I have seen it recommended on here before. Anyway I have just started using the book and it requires you to set up 2 servers one as a DC and the other a member. I have done this with the evaluation software they provide. Does anyone know if you have to activate the software being that it is an evaluation copy? I only ask because I'm starting to get the reminders saying I need to activate the software. I was concerned becuase if you do then how can I validate both copys when I have only one licence key printed on the back of the c.d. Not unless this licence key is a volume licence. I'm hoping it is because now I have set my lab up and started the training. If they do need validating then my lab is going to become defunct. Has anyone who has used the book know what I'm talking about and if they do was this a problem or can you use the software after the validation alert has expired. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dabve3dabve3 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should be able to activate both servers. I think they let you use the same cd key about 4 times. After that it won't let you activate again. And yes you must activate the software or you won't be able to do anything until you activate it by doing it online or calling Microsoft. I used the same cd key for two servers I did for a lab a few months back.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft is actually quite flexible with activation. I've often been denied activation because of too many previous activations, and I just call them up, explain the situation (setting up a test lab, reinstall, etc.), and they give me an activation code without any grief.

Or you could just not activate and force yourself to complete the exam by the expiration date. That'll motivate you a bit. You get 60 days with the server version right? That's plenty of time.