Options

Newbie needs help - Which units to choose?

Queen of PlutoQueen of Pluto Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

I'm new over here obviously. To give a small introduction, I have been interested in IT since I was around 7. Went to college, but had to stop halfway (actually at the start it self) because of a unfortunate incident with finances. icon_confused.gif And I just quit my good for nothing job (Or at least i think I did.. or I will get fired.. or something icon_rolleyes.gif )

I have a OK idea bout assembling a Desktop and fixing them and so on, having assembled all my Desktops since I was around 12, fixing both mine and my friends computers for years. But I don't think I'm really at a level to get a job and obviously I can't get one because I have nothing to show anyway.

So after years and years of doing everything with nothing to show for, I figured I'll start here. My problem is, today is the first time I went through the objectives (or heard of A+) and after spending a while reading, all the units are looking same to me. Any recommendations on which unit I should choose to do with the essentials? Is there any sorta advantage doing one unit vs another?

I'm really sorry if the answer is staring right at me.. 30 hours of sleep deprivation can make you lose focus. icon_wink.gif

Thanks in advance
Current Goals
A+
Falling asleep

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well you'll need Essentials regardless of the path you choose. Aside from that, they are pretty similar. So select the one that best suits the goals you have. Do you want to work as a Depot Tech, Remote or work as an IT tech? At this point, it doesn't seem to make a huge difference, but if you are going to work with Remote technologies, you probably wouldn't want to take the Depot tech portion.

Frankly, it seems most are taking IT tech. It covers the broadest range.

Welcome and good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would recommend doing the IT Technician exam (220-602). It seems to be the most popular and similar to the old A+ hardware and OS exams. Right now it doesn't seem to matter which exam you take as A+ is A+.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    Queen of PlutoQueen of Pluto Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I also went through the objectives and the CompTIA site properly which helped me understand it better. IT Technician def seems to be more of my thing. I guess it's time to actually start studying. :)
    Current Goals
    A+
    Falling asleep