Windows Admin Assistance.

NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
Can someone please help me disect this backup script? This is an old script and we now backup to a NAS device on not a tape. Would it be safe to remove the /n switch? Secondly is it a probelm that I do not have a backup selection file(.bks) in the file path given here in the script? Is this .bks file automatically created?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local

Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Server2

Full.bks" /n "Server2Full.bkf created 6/21/2007 at 11:42 AM" /d "Set created 6/21/2007 at

11:42 AM" /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Server2 Full" /l:s /f "\\Bk02

\Cumberland\Server2Full.bkf"

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is just using ntbackup.exe? Just schedule a job the way you want it to run. Then go to the scheduled jobs tab (the calendar that shows all your scheduled jobs), click your scheduled job, then click on properties, and it will show you the command for running a backup of that type. It's probably the easiest to just create what you want through the gui then copy and paste.

Here's a reference for ntbackup if you want though: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_command.mspx?mfr=true
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Explanation:
    @C:\Documents and Settings\NTBackup\Local

Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Server2

Full.bks
    Supposed to be the location of the file that contains information on the files and folders you have selected for backup. You have to create the file using the graphical user interface (GUI) version of Backup.
    /n "Server2Full.bkf created 6/21/2007 at 11:42 AM"
    Specifies the new tape name.
    /d "Set created 6/21/2007 at 11:42 AM"
    Specifies a label for each backup set.
    /v:no /r:no /rs:no /hc:off
    No verification, don't restrict access to the tape to the owner or members of the Administrators group, don't back up the migrated data files located in Remote Storage, and don't use hardware compression.
    /m normal
    backup type=normal.
    /j "Server2 Full"
    Specifies the job name to be used in the log file.
    /l:s
    Specifies a summary log file.
    /f "\\Bk02 \Cumberland\Server2Full.bkf"
    Logical disk path and file name.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    This is just using ntbackup.exe? Just schedule a job the way you want it to run. Then go to the scheduled jobs tab (the calendar that shows all your scheduled jobs), click your scheduled job, then click on properties, and it will show you the command for running a backup of that type. It's probably the easiest to just create what you want through the gui then copy and paste.

Here's a reference for ntbackup if you want though: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntbackup_command.mspx?mfr=true

Thats already setup. Now I'm trying to figure out why the backup won't run. I suspect it could be that the ntbackup.exe can't find the .bks file. When I load the backup utility and click the backup tab, I can see on the menu bar, "server2 full.bks". I'll try saving the .bks file to the correct location and see if this helps.

Thanks for the rundown sprky
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    There's nothing in the log?
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Only that is was unsuccessful. NO details. One more question...If full backups are done on Monday night and incremental on all other days, Would there ever be a need to run a full AND the incremental on the same day and one hour apart from another? Thanks.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
    Depends on your needs, but not likely. That same-day incremental would only backup anything that changed in that last hour. If you're doing it in the middle of the night with no one there, I can't see there being any use for it.

Bummer on the no details. Maybe check event viewer for that time to see if there are any other problems (app log perhaps). Sometimes my backups don't go, and there is NOTHING in the event log. It's really weird because it's just a basic differential backup to tape that runs every night.