Profile Problem

Mark11Mark11 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi

I am working my way through the 70-290 MS books and doing all the exercises on a test server but I have come across a problem that I cannot figure out. I might be doing something really stupid but I am having one of those days.

I have created my users in AD and create a share on the C:\ drive called profiles. This share has full control to everyone with NTFS permissions for <domain> users. I have joined a Windows XP SP2 notebook to the domain which is fine but when I logon as a new user it cannot find the roaming profile. I have copied a profile across to the users folder and made sure the user profile path is right. If I logon as an administrator and try to browse to this share I am always denied permissions. I have changed all the permissions to full control to see if that made it work but it did not. If I add a notebook that is not on the domain I can access the shares easily with the users I added to the AD but I cannot access the shares on a notebook that I have added to the domain, I can access the standard sysvol share on the notebook that is on the domain as administrator account but none I have created. I have done something wrong in setting this up?

Any help or advise would be really helpful.

Cheers
Mark

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A little confusing for us to troubleshoot since there are a few questions that are hard to determine.

A couple of things you might want to get is if you have file and print sharing turned on (although it sounds like you did becuase you can access the share from other non-domain computers). How are you accessing the share?

"If I logon as an administrator and try to browse to this share I am always denied permissions." And this is also hard to put my finger on. Did you give administrators permissions to the share?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I agree with Mishra try and give us a little more information some of the info is a bit confusing, and is the user currently owner of its profile or did you make the admin owner when you changed the permissions?
  • Mark11Mark11 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, thanks for your responses.

Here is the setup I have and what I did to get roaming profiles working. I have Windows 2003 standard edition installed, domain is test.local and it has two hard drives installed. The first hard drive is C:\ and the second I formatted with NTFS, made active and called it G:\.

I have created a user (lthorpe) within active directory and they are a member of test.local/users. I have created a share on G:\ called profiles, the share has full control to everyone and at the moment so does the NTFS permissions, test.local/users also has full control. I have created another folder within profiles for the user and given full control to this user.

I have attached a Windows XP SP2 notebook that was part of a WORKGROUP, i added this to the domain. I created a profile and tried to copy this to the \\test.local\profiles\lthorpe share but it would not copy so I did it manually. Everytime I try and log on as the user I am told it cannot find the profile, i did add \\test.local\profile\lthorpe to the users profile tab in the AD ut I still get the error saying I do not have permission. If i attach a notebook that is not part of the domain and conenct to the \\test.local\profiles\lthorpe using the lthorpe username and password and ot connects happily but use a notebook that is part of the domain it does not work. If i logon to a workstation as administrator I am also denied permission to view the \\test.local\profile share even though everyone has full control.

I thought it might of been the 2nd hard drive but I also tried creating this on the root c:\ but I am getting the same problem.

I hope this makes more sense.

Cheers
    Mark
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You are not going to be able to put in your domain name in order to access those shares.

Use \\YourServerName\Profiles\%username% in your profile field on the user's account.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Mark11Mark11 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks very much Mishra, what a stupid mistake I made icon_rolleyes.gif , well I guess you learn from your mistakes. Cheers Mark :)