Options

Terminal Services, web?

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
So I ran into this question today, while goofing around with the server 2003 CourseSim TestOut software. I watched the lecture all the way through and then flipped through it, I open the Sybex 2003 server guide and again, no reference to being able to setup terminal server to be used via internet explorer.

I googled around for a bit with no luck. I would like to try and set this up in my lab and have not been able to figure out where to go to get it running. Anyone have any good links they can refer me to?

You are a new network administrator working for a large corporation. They have been understaffed for quite a long time and as a result, none of the existing network engineers has had time for training with Windows Server 2003. They are planning a large-scale migration to Windows Server 2003 in the relatively near future, however, and have recently begun to study the process. Your network has a single, very large domain which covers many sites. Some of the sites lack dedicated IT staff, and are covered either by remote administration or by contracted outside help. One such remote site is due for a new server, and management has decided to use it for a pilot Windows Server 2003 install. The site is fairly remote, and has no IT staff. Also it takes the locally contracted consultant nearly two hours to reach the site once he has been contacted. Because of this, management would like to increase the remote administration capabilities for this site, for both internal and the external administrators. The bandwidth to this site is low and occasionally unreliable. What should you do?

Use MMC tools to manage the server using a local account on the server.
Use Remote Desktop and Terminal Services for Administration to manage the server.
Use the HTML remote administration tools, with IIS, to manage the server.
Use Remote Assistance to manage the server.
Use Clustering services to reduce the need for administration of the server.

The HTML remote administration tools allow a low-bandwidth connection, and can be configured to allow both internal users and the outsourced consultant to perform many administration tasks remotely. Using the MMC tools requires more bandwidth, and requires you to create a local account for the consultant to use. Remote Desktop is fairly high bandwidth, which is not available in this case. Remote Assistance would require that a user log on to the server. We don't want to use any of the local users, and if we wait for the consultant, we don't need to offer assistance. Clustering the server will not reduce the need for administration.
-Daniel