Options

Confused on how to ask for raises...

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well, I've been at my current job since May of this year. They started me at 44,100 a yr. I started as a consultant then they hired me on full time in early September. They bumped me to 45k. Since then Ive obtained my CCNA and Security+ and am hoping to have my MCSE by February (293,294,29icon_cool.gif... I have about 3.25 years of experience, a BS in IT, and I've performed very well in my position. My boss tells me that he's very pleased with me and trusts me. How long should I wait to ask for a raise? Thats standard policy here. They won't just give you one, unless you ask. Also, how much of a raise should I ask for? I'm thinking 50, but that may be ridiculous.
"Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This seems to be a common problem when you obtain new certifications and skills. If you stay with your current employer you are likely to get a raise, but not in line with the industry averages for that skill, this leads many people to look for a new job with a different company. If the company you are working for is using your new certifications for their benifit (in the case of consulting to other comanies and what not) they should compensate you. At the same time if the new skill have no value to your company then you may find it hard using that as the justification for a raise of $ 5,000, which is more than 10%. I would wait to ask until the company is putting your CCNA to work and you have a little leverage with asking for a raise.

I have an instructor who recently finshed his MBA. I understand it is an achievement, but it has little value when delivering IT training to students and didn't justify the nearly 100% raise he was asking (telling) me to give him (he presented it as a threat of leaving when I initially said no which is never the way to go).
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    thanks. coming up this month we are expanding across the street. My boss has already began asking me things about VLANs, EIGRP, and some other CCNA related topics. So I will be putting the CCNA to use.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally think you are asking for a raise too soon since you only started in May. If you wanted more money than you should have negotiated when they hired you permanently.

Keep the projects and certifications up and make sure and write everything down. Wait until your performance review in 1 year and ask for 50 or maybe even 52. Let them get to really trust you and get to know your manager. If you ask for too much after a year then all they are is going to say no. If you don't get the money you want then find another job, if you aren't happy with the money you are making now and you think you can make more than find another job. Just remember that a good job is sometimes worth the smaller pay.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    I was really never even given the opportunity to negotiate. They just gave me a paper saying this is your new situation. I didnt sign anything or commit to anything. I just was given a piece of paper that outlined my pay and benefits.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Often, it would be at the year anniversary of your hire with the company, which would be next September, but you need to find out from your HR department what the standards are at your company for performance evaluations, merit raises, and such.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...