Options

Need some advice

fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello

I am in the process of switching careers and looking for an entry level position in the IT field. I just passed my BCSI and I will be taking the BCMSN exam next month and planning on finishing CCNP by the end of May. I also have a degree in Electrical Engineering which I got in 2005. My actual job pays well but it s very boring and it s not IT or Electrical related. My ultimate goal is to work for an ISP. My problem is that I have no experience working in the field. I should mention that I do have my own lab at home and been practicing for over a year.
I was wondering if I should get the MCP certification and start with a help desk job or should I focus on getting CCNP & CCIP (planning on taking BGP exam before the end of the year). Do companies hire CCNAs or will they require me to have MCSE certification too? If so, what positions should I be applying for?
The pay is not a big concern right now and I could take a pay cut I just need to gain some experience.

So please advise.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    You have the education and the certification for you career goal, but as you said, not the experience. You'll need to focus on jobs with "Jr.", "entry-level", or "Technician I" in the description. There's always the possibility of getting lucky and finding an opportunity where you are hired based on your enthusiasm and personality more than your experience, but you can't reply on that happening.

Unless you have a friend that can give you an undeserved break into a new field, switching to a new career usually requires a down-grade in both pay and position until you build the experience and work your way back up. The best time to change you career focus is when the job market is strong and you are not in an immediate need of finding a new job. This gives you time to look for opportunities and a good change to (eventually) find them.

It sounds like you are doing everything correctly, but only need more time and persistence. And if you want to work for an ISP, go for the CCNP before the MCSE. (If I started an ISP, I'd avoid M$ products and go with Linux just to save paying the licensing fees. ;) )
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    hum.... you're an EE and CCNA. And you want to work for an ISP.

Have you checked out the local Cable Company and Baby Bell (or Uber Bell) in your area? Have you looked at some of the smaller ISPs in your area (check dslreports.com to see who services your area).

If you can demonstrate the skills now you should be able to find something at an ISP now.

Save helpdesk (non-ISP) as a last resort if you can't impress anyone with what you already have (an education and nice networking entry level certification).

If you can't break into the ISP market now -- maybe some MS or UNIX certs could get you into the junior admin market as a stepping stone into the ISP big leagues.

Adding professional level certifications without the job experience to back them up isn't much of a benefit -- but working on the exams now will give you another leg up against other CCNAs going for the same ISP jobs now.

Make your move while you're still young! :D

You could also try to hook up with a Cisco Business Partner or Cisco -- if you lucked out and were in a "big market" you could be the guy supporting the ISPs in a few years. icon_cool.gif

You've got the educations, a certification -- now you need to get some good experience.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    fid500fid500 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for your replies.
    Mike, I didn't mean that I want to start right away working for an ISP. I would take any entry level positions, including internships, with anyone. It just seems very hard to get my feet in.

Hey Mike, I see that you are from Chicago NW and so am I. I go to COD for my CCNP. You must know more about the job market in this area and I would appreciate your help.

Thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with Mike. A degree, CCNA and good interviewing skills could land you something at an ISP like a NOC tech. You won't be running the whole network or anything, but it will be some good experience checking link status and low level troubleshooting. Hit the market now and I wouldn't worry about the MS certs for now. They won't hurt for sure, but won't be that big of a help with the direction you are trying to go with your career.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.