any quick guide to ntfs permission?

since i found this topic so confusing let me write my own pointers but pls correct me if wrong...

1. NTFS file and folder permission are cumulative. which means if a user has read permission for a file or folder and is a member of a group with write permission the users effective permission is write which includes the read permission.

2. If you combine share folder permission and NTFS permission the least restrictive permission applies. no example im twisted icon_lol.gif

3. when you copy a file within the same NTFS partition the file inherits the permission applied on the destination folder.

MOVING A FILE AND COPYING FILES

Copy to same NTFS partition - inherits the permission to the parent folder

Move to same NTFS partition - retains permission assigned to them

Copy or move to another NTFS partition - inherits the permission assigned to the target partition.

move to fat -permissions are loss

disclaimer: im trying my best here though im also confuse. pls if u want to refer to this as quick guide lets wait some time for our gentleman here to share their views. dont believe me im an idiot icon_lol.gif

please guys give your opinions and help me finish this one. :)
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2. If you combine share folder permission and NTFS permission the least restrictive permission applies.

The MOST restrictive applies. That's why it's a common practice anywhere besides Microsoft world to ONLY manage using NFTS security, for the simple reason that NTFS applies whether you access the object locally or across a network, while share permissions only apply across the network. So in my book the BEST way to manage access security is to always set the share permissions as "Everyone=FC" in 2003 or "Authenticated Users=FC" in W2K, and then set the NTFS security according to the users/groups you want to grant access to. That makes trouble shooting and administration soooo much easier, which in turn increases security by reducing admin error.

Everything else looked correct to me. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.