Options

Order of operations!

PhillyDPhillyD Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Forum,

I've just joined this forum as I am just about to set out on the CCVP journey. I am totally learning from the bottom up, since I have very little knowledge of voice. Can anyone recommend the best order to study and take the exams? Is it as per the list on the Cisco website, or is there a better way?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The order doesn't really matter, it really depends on your background. For people who have done CCNP and ONT last it makes sense to move into QoS because they are similar. If you are completely new to voice I would start with CVOICE because that is the groundwork for all the otehr modules. After that you can go onto CIPT, GWGK, QoS, and TUC should be last.

Congrats on your CCIE pass, if you did R+S the QoS exam should be no troble for you.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your recent pass! always great to have another IE on the forum to help us sort things out! :Dicon_wink.gif

Welcome to the forum and oh, nice number!
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    I see we're both on the same path - pursuing a CCVP, although the similarities end there. icon_wink.gif

I'm sure you're working "in the field" now, but I had been told by an advisor that the only "silver bullet" to being assured a networking job was to say, "I'm a CCIE." Just curious if you think that might be true. I know that saying, "I'm a CCNA" might get me a momentary raised eyebrow's worth of interest.

Congrats on your accomplishments and on the IE.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you've already read the Odom QoS book, then I'd suggest just a quick review and knock QoS out of the park.

NMC (www.netmasterclass.com) has a CVOICE "LearnIT" module -- the website still says they are offering the "Summer Special." Could be useful to reinforce the Voice concepts as you go through the Cisco Press CVOICE book.

While I doubt any CCIE would have trouble remembering their number, you definitely got a "good one" -- easy to remember for the rest of us. Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    cisco18128cisco18128 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just started learning voice also few months ago. You can knock QOS out easily since you already went through that for your IE. Afterwards, i would recommend CVOICE, then GWGK.
    Thats the 3 i have taken so far and it seems to have worked for me.

I think voice is really intresting and i am begining to like it. If you have extra time and cash , then it would be benefitial to setup your own pod or maybe use Dynamips.
    I really didnt like dynamips for voice when i tried it, so i have setup 2 sites with the following equipment;

Site 1:cisco 3640 with NM-HDV and VWIC-1MFT
    Site 2. cisco 3640 with NM-HDV and VWIC -1MFT
    connect both sites via back to back T1 cable.
    Cat 3550-pwr
    4 IP Phones (2 in each site)
    Call Manager 5 installed on vmware ( or you can use 4.x since it doesnt require a licence).

Unlike R&S, there are not that many materials out there for voice. I cant wait for the upcoming Internetwork expert advance technology class on voice.

Joel
    CCIE#18128
  • Options
    IvanKIvanK Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your CCIE pass,

With your background QoS exam would be easy on you.

I also started my CCVP and I have worked with ip telephony so thought to take cipt first, but lastly decided on to go with Cvoice the easiest at first which is the base also.

Lat week i attended a weekend class Cvoice module it was superb, i would recommended that class to anyone and the instructor was great, very professional and easy to understand.

Anyway I am happy to get over with Cvoice first.
  • Options
    a.zida.zid Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Forum,

I was also wondering the same question at which order i should take CCVP modules, and what is the most difficult module of all?

thanks a cluleless CCVP here!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    a.zid wrote:
    Hi Forum,

I was also wondering the same question at which order i should take CCVP modules, and what is the most difficult module of all?

thanks a cluleless CCVP here!

As stated before, you should start with CVOICE atleast read and study thee book because it lays the foundation for the other modules. Then I would hit CIPT, GWGK, and QoS in any order, then finally TUC.

I wouldn't say one is harder or easier than another, I found CVOICE to be rather boring, and CIPT is by far the most material to study. QoS may be the most difficult to study because much of the material is theory that is difficult to see in action (eg how a single rate 3 color policer works vs a dual rate 3 color policer)

Are you alread a CCVP or are you persuing your CCVP?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    a.zida.zid Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi i am still perusing CCVP, and desperate to get it.
    I started with Cvoice now, and got some special training funded by my employer.