Options

Testing software in VMware - Server 2003, Windows Vista

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi folks,

I have been wondering about this for a while now, and i would like to setup virtual machines with Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP or Windows Vista.

My question is i have a evalution copy of Windows Server 2003 going back about 2 years now and it is well past the 180 day evaluation period - can i contact Microsoft and tell them that i have this copy of Server 2003 and see if i can use it again.

Would Microsoft allow me to use it?
Would they provide me with a new product key as i cannot locate the key that came with this evaluation copy?

Please bear in mind that this is for testing purposes only that i would like to run in a virtual machine environment.

Also my Internet connection at home is still dial-up - the telecom company do not deem our area a priority for broadband yet,so downloading a copy from Microsoft could be a problem.

I would like to know if possible how people in the same situation overcame this?

Any insight would be most welcoming.

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Your CD should be just fine, the 180 days refers to "since installed" and not since purchase date. After the 180 days, you could even wipe it and reinstall it for another 180 days. I'm not sure what to tell you about the product key. They probably wouldn't have any problem giving you another one though.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    Hi Sprkymrk,

Thanks for the reply, i rang Microsoft today, lets say it was not a pleasent experience.

Talk about getting the run around, i think i was transfered to 3 different departments and in the end still did not get an clarification.

I got a phone number to ring that deals with training etc and it does not work. Go figure.

Regards

Eamonn icon_rolleyes.gif
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)