Options

A+ Instructor rate?

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hey everybody,

Just curious, I applied for an instructor position. What do you think is an average rate for an instructor. I was guessing $25 /hr, but that maybe to little, especially here in the big apple.

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on the circumstances. Instructor rates can be very high if you are a proven instructor (I pay some instructors $850/day for Cisco/Microsoft classes). Depending on the school, they may not be able to pay a very high rate because of low class enrollment so they short change the most important part of the process, the instructor.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Thank you for your insight. And $850/day WOW!!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got offered 20$/hr to be an instructor at a school in King of Prussia,pa. They want me to teach MCSA material
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    cdad2000 wrote:
    Thank you for your insight. And $850/day WOW!!

I wouldn't think an A+ instructor is goin got pull in that sort of money....unless of course you are also teaching higher-end classes. Plus, per day rates.....tend to mean...work one in a while.

I'd say most likely looking at $15-20 per hour. If it's a 10 week course..maybe $2500ish for the whole gig. Depends on who is looking and how much demand there is for instructors as well as your experience. If you hold a Masters in teaching/computers or something similar...you'll likely draw a better rate then someone with simply experience. Just depends.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just got offered 20$/hr to be an instructor at a school in King of Prussia,pa. They want me to teach MCSA material

Sounds low. Do you have any previous experience as an instructor?

Look at it like this, if they are charging $5,000 for an MCSA (I don't know what their rate is but let's guess) at 160 hours of instruction (again a guess) that is $31.25 an hour per student, now put 10 students in a classroom and that's $312.50 an hour. I understand there is overhead and direct expenses for each student to cover, but sometimes these schools take advantage of instructors. If that's all they're paying it could be an indication that they have low class enrollment or they are unsure of your abilities (I would ask them for some sort or long term incentives or what not.) Just don't let them take advantage of you.

I am an instructor and a school owner so it puts me in an difficult position sometimes.

EDIT: Plantwiz you're right, that is not an A+ rate, not even close, that is for a Cisco instructor maintaining 4.7 out of 5.0 on their evaluations and other factors. Good instructors make me money in repeat business and word of mouth advertising it is an investment.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I taught a simple Intro to Computers class for several months for the Community Education department of a school district and made $20 an hour back in 2000. A year or two later I was offered $50 an hour by a Tech College to teach an MCSE curriculum. The first job was part time at night (like 6 hours a week) and the second one would have been like 14-18 hours a week at night as well. Neither of those jobs had any benefits, they were straight cash jobs.

To me, teaching is fun for about the first 2-3 times you do a class, then I get tired of the same old same old. I guess that's why I would never do it full time. Part time, on occasion, can be fun.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow, 50/hr? nice
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wow, 50/hr? nice

It is until you start doing it.

I've run a couple 'build your own computer classes' as well as plant-type classes....these things can suck the living blood straight from you. First couple nights are ok...then I couldn't wait until they ended.

I personally like single day classes (though it's been a couple years since I've done any). And as mentioned, they tend to pay...straight cash. You are responsible for reporting your taxes and of course other costs associated with the class.

It's nothing to sneeze at, but when you figure your prep time and any project grading depending on the type of class....it's not a ton of money. Plus, it's not something you will do every waking hour...it's something (for me) I did to suppliment my evenings. So after working a full day, and maybe a 2nd job before teaching....it's a LONG day of being 'ON'.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?