Options

Being young, blessing or curse. Another Rant!!!!!!!!!!

Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
This isn't even a work rant, i guess this is just a rant about myself
and my new job i don't know. You guys remember my last thread about my project that i though i was going to be doing by myself? That can set the tone here.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27927

Well today i was called into the office to configure an asa 5510 to terminate this new company's internet. I was LOST and my colleague was there so it was ok. Well, i wasn't lost but just the nat stuff. Jesus, Nat T and all of the overloads and dynamic/static nat translations are WAY over my head.

It's just so hard walking into the office and seeing a routing expert/asa expert/voice expert/nortel expert/wireless expert...etc. I mean i tihnk it's cool being so young and working with these older guys with all of this experience. But like some of these guys have been working for this company longer than i've been alive. I feel like the new kid, like i'm in high school or something and i don't like that feeling. I'm supposed to be the data guy and the nortel guy was the one figuring out the asa when i was lost.

I don't even know what's going on with me and getting my ccnp, it's almost like i don't care. I guess i feel like i have so many holes in my knowledge at work, what's the point of studying for the ccnp. Or, i'm adjusting to a new job/trade (telecom) what's the point of studying. I dunno, mabye those are just excuses. .....does anyone have some motivational words for me??? Cause i don't feel very motivated lately. Like last night i was reading in my voip first step book by kevin wallace. And i got to the WFQ/QOS section and i slammed the book down cause i got bored reading that stuff. I dunno. I just feel young and stupid around these people at work. icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_redface.gif

Just a bad day.
i herd u leik mudkips lol

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have a good oppertunity as long as you're not just being pushed out of the way when doing these configs and all, ask questions.

It's like tennis, the only way to get better is to play with people better than yourself, if you are training the people you are working with you're not learning.

It kind of goes with the industry.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    How do you think those people learned? I doubt they were born with the knowledge. I didn't know squat when I started working with this stuff and now I'm pretty good at what I do. I still don't know squat about the stuff I haven't worked with though. You learn by doing and reading up about the stuff as well. Keep your head up and like dtlokee stated you have an excellent oppourtunity here. Let the more experienced guys know you are eager to learn (stroke their ego a bit if you have to) and get them to teach you. If you stick it out long enough there will be a new guy soon who will be thinking the same way about you. Don't forget the feeling of being the new guy when that time comes and take him under your wing. Good luck and take advantage of the knowledge around you!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
    none of the guys you work with came out of their moms womb with that knowlege. If they can learn it, so can you.
    My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
    http://techintuition.com/
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The way I see it, you can either look at it as you being the most inexperienced there and get down on yourself, or you can seize this situation as an opportunity to learn and pick your coworkers brains. I am 23 and work in a group where I am the youngest person by 9 years (a majority of my group is in their 40s).

Do I feel like the kid out of college at times? Sure. But I also realize that I am in a great opportunity to learn from people that have been in the business for quite some time. I have also realized that I can contribute to the team in the process.

Keep your head up, stop complaining, and make the best of the situation. There are people your age flipping burgers, pushing shopping carts, and bagging your groceries. Trust me, you don't have it that bad icon_wink.gif
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Acrobat, don't be afraid to show a bit of inexperience. Afterall you are new in the field (as I am) and have much to learn, in a few years time when there is a new starter you will have to do some teaching yourself. If you work with understanding people, they will help you when you are stuck without a path to follow. Make the most of working with vets :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    How do you think those people learned? I doubt they were born with the knowledge. I didn't know squat when I started working with this stuff and now I'm pretty good at what I do. I still don't know squat about the stuff I haven't worked with though. You learn by doing and reading up about the stuff as well. Keep your head up and like dtlokee stated you have an excellent oppourtunity here. Let the more experienced guys know you are eager to learn (stroke their ego a bit if you have to) and get them to teach you. If you stick it out long enough there will be a new guy soon who will be thinking the same way about you. Don't forget the feeling of being the new guy when that time comes and take him under your wing. Good luck and take advantage of the knowledge around you!

all of you guys are right thanks guys
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya man, you are in a great position. Give yourself some time to soak it up. WHat I would do to be working around a bunch of guys like that. IN two years, your going to look back and see just how far you have come because you are working around a group of pros. best of luck to ya bro. :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!