Options

Dynamips legal?

sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
Since I have started studying for CCNA I have been looking into how I am going to get the hands on experience I need to study for the exam. I have noticed some people purchase Cisco hardware and setup a lab, some use Dynamips and setup a virtual lab, and some use both. I have also read some people in other forums saying using the Cisco IOS with Dynamips is illegal. Here is a link to one of them.

http://certcities.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?tid=5603&pn=1

This person said they emailed Cisco and the response they recieved was that it is illegal to use the Cisco IOS with Dynamips. I am not trying to say people shouldn't use it or anything but I am just curious to what everyone else thinks about this?
Working on: MCSA 2012 R2

Comments

• Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    i'd vote yes, since you probably aren't going to buy a license for an IOS on a router you're going to emulate.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't imagine it would be illegal if the IOS is licensed properly... thats like saying its illegal to setup a virtual machine when you own a license for the os you are installing
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The problem is that a licensed version of the IOS is specific to a single hardware chassis. You can't just buy a copy of IOS without a piece of hardware to put it on.

Now, according to the Cisco IOS Software License, all IOS is "nontransferable" that would mean when you sell a router or switch to someone else, it would require you to purchase a new license. So the majority of all lab equipment out there which has been purchased via an auction site does not carry a license. I think this is how most people view Dynamips, when used in a lab for learning.

It's a double edged sword, Cisco can't publicly condone the use of their IOS this way, but at the same time it helps with the number of certified people. One of the things that helps people get certified is the ability to get hardware for not much money when compared to companies like Juniper (you can build an olive). And more certified people equals more Cisco sales people, yup like it or not, certified people are sales people.

So what's right?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    i'd vote yes, since you probably aren't going to buy a license for an IOS on a router you're going to emulate.

That's like saying that someone looking to buy a DVD-RW is obviously a criminal because they have the ability to burn movies.

I know plenty of Network Admins that have access to TACACS and all of the IOS software that use dynamips.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco wrote:
    Customer's license to use the Software shall be limited to, and Customer shall not use the Software in excess of, a single hardware chassis or card or that number of agent(s), concurrent users, sessions, IP addresses, port(s), seat(s), server(s) or site(s), as set forth in the applicable Purchase Order which has been accepted by Cisco and for which Customer has paid to Cisco the required license fee.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/prod_warranties_item09186a008088e31f.html

I think this is what the guy from Boson in the link from the certcities.com forums was refering to in Cisco's EULA.
    dtlokee wrote:
    Now, according to the Cisco IOS Software License, all IOS is "nontransferable" that would mean when you sell a router or switch to someone else, it would require you to purchase a new license. So the majority of all lab equipment out there which has been purchased via an auction site does not carry a license. I think this is how most people view Dynamips, when used in a lab for learning.

I didn't know that, so I guess it doesn't matter either way unless you purchase new Cisco equipment from a vender or a License which both can cost a lot.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2