Options

Getting into IT support

pcliffepcliffe Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm 32 yrs old living in the UK and a want to re-train with the aim to get into the IT support industry. I consider myself computer literate with a good understanding of PCs Win Xp etc. but have no commercial experience in the IT support field. I have looked at the various MCP/COMPTIA qualifications and I am wondering what would be a good starting point. Would it be A+, Network+ or MCDST? Also is there any recommended training centers in the UK? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Peter.

Comments

• Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Hi Peter,

Firstly welcome! :D

To answer you question we really need to know where your interest lies and what path you want to follow in IT.

Are you looking for a field services role? (Traveling out to client sites fixing machines and hardware)

Are you looking for a helpdesk role? (Answering calls from users and fixing problems over the phone or using remote software)

How do you interact with people? (What i mean is do you want to work face to face with users and clients)

What is your background? This may give us an insight into where you currently stand / come from and may be able to suggest something that would interest you.

As for qualification that depends on the area you want to move into.

Network+ will teach you about setting up networks and cabling
    A+ will teach you about computer hardware (Enabling you to upgrade systems and know what works with what and why in the guts of the machine)
    MCP / MCSA will enable you to learn all about Windows and it capabilities and to be able to provide support and advice based on this.

I know its not all in depth and people will pull me up on a couple of things (A+ is NOT just this etc) but im just trying to give you a brief overview.

Let us know what you think and what your interests are and we will try and help! :D
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools