Options

$tudent loans

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hey Everybody,

I'm starting to pay -off my private loans, and recently heard that the Army reserves could pay off the loans. Is that a good suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It looks like you can. Check out the bottom of this page:

http://www.1800goguard.com/education/payfor.php

One thing to keep in mind is you may end up in Iraq. Nothing wrong with this if thats what you want. I'm just saying you need to be fully informed before you make your decision.
  • Options
    cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
    Right, being shipped to Iraqi will rain on parade, but what are the chances?
  • Options
    KalabinKalabin Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think if you are going to make a decision such as joining the guard you need to have the outlook of you will 100% be at some point be going over there. Not saying you will, but you need to be in that mind set in order to make that commitment. On the other hand, the national guard up here has already seen three tour's over there.
  • Options
    SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
    Kalabin wrote:
    I think if you are going to make a decision such as joining the guard you need to have the outlook of you will 100% be at some point be going over there. Not saying you will, but you need to be in that mind set in order to make that commitment. On the other hand, the national guard up here has already seen three tour's over there.

I agree go in with the mind set that you will be deployed there.... if it is something our willing to do then enlist
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    cdad2000 wrote:
    Right, being shipped to Iraqi will rain on parade, but what are the chances?

Personally, if you are thinking of using the $$ you get from enlisting to pay-off your loans, that is fine. Please don't bother to enlist just for the sake of reciving funds to pay off your debt. Your committment to your country when you volunteer to enlist should have some meaning for you and not just be thought of as a boyscout camp that pays you some money.

You can pay off your debt in a couple years if you buckle down, work every free moment you have (pick up a couple jobs...JOBS with an 's') Nights and weekends. Live somewhere with cheap rent or split rent with a couple roomates. Cut down on the partying until your debt is paid-in-full then you won't need to worry about enlisting and hope to not be called up.

Honestly, as a tax paying citizen, I think that if anyone who enlists is reciving the skills to 'work' at the war, then they should probably be utilizied in a role that uses those skills. Sure there are necessary support roles all through the armed-forces that won't land your butt in combat, but I've already lost relatives with 19 and 37 years training because they absolutely LOVED what they did for a living. The men and women in don't take it lightly when a newbie enters thinking its a quick way to make a couple grand.

So, my hats off if you enlist...and thank you for your service. If you don't, I doubt anyone will think less of you.

And if you would have asked about the school loan BEFORE you took it out....my advice would have been to NOT take out a loan for college. But we are beyond that point now so that advice is for the next person considering taking out a loan.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got 8K that I need to pay back right *now*. You should pay it back as soon as you can, or you'll end up like me and get letters everyday about it. ;)
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680