Options

BGP multihoming issues

remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
Lets say I have an HQ router which connects to 2 different ISPs. I want to dual-home with special circumstances in mind.

Lets say I only want to use my ISP2 in order to connect to one specific network maybe a corporate partner's network (9.9.9.0 /24 for example). But if my connection to ISP1 were to go down, I want to know allow any internet destined traffic out to ISP2.

I want the rest of my internet bound traffic to go to ISP1.

I want my BGP AS to me a non transit, but I do want to allow any traffic destined for our corporate partner's network the ability to traverse through my network from ISP2 to ISP1.

I am just getting in to these more advanced aspects of BGP, and I really would love some pointers in how to proceed. This is not for an actual company it is a personal lab of mine. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Comments

• Options
    joshgibson82joshgibson82 Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are really multiple ways to have that set up. You could use route maps, BGP tweeking, a mixture of static routes and BGP routes. How are the routes coming into your AS from each ISP? Do you get all internet routes or a default route or what?

That sounds interesting.
    Josh, CCNP CWNA
  • Options
    remerolleremerolle Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In this hypothetical case I would get all routes from each ISP.

One thought I had was to not advertise any routes to HQ, except for the company partner's network. Then I could create 2 default routes. Since HQ only has the route to the partner's network it would only allow traffic to that network through HQ. I would of course throw up some ACLs to further secure the HQ. But this just seems like too much of a CCNA level work around. I want to utilize something more BSCI specific.