Options

3 Displays

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi Guys

I am looking into having another display on my PC

At the moment i use dual display, i would need to install a PCI graphics card in order to attach an extra monitor.

Is this as straight forward as it sounds, i would like to have the start button bar desktop etc as middle screen and either side have an extra screen.

Has anyone ever done this set-up

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have setup 4 monitors on a single PC that fed to three 6 foot plasma screens hanging from the cieling (1 monitor was just for administration and didn't need to feed to a plasma) and yes it was pretty straight forward. In your display properties you can make use of the "Identify" button to help you arrange the monitors where you want them. Some applications, like Office, had a hard time opening on different displays if you wanted to have say one Word doc open on monitor 1 and another Word doc open on monitor 2 because of the way Office works.

But if you want your desktop and start menu on the middle monitor just make that one your default, and put monitor 2 and 3 to the left and right. The hardest thing I found was in configuring each individual application to automatically open a certain display.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I'm in the same market for a 3rd monitor as well....I'm considering UltraMon it seems to be highly recommended by many hardware rig forums and reviews.

The features are also pretty impressive.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,036 Admin
    I've been drooling over the Matrox TripleHead2Go system for six months now. I would want to buy three new monitors for it as well, but I just can't justify spending the money right now--even if it is for gaming. :)
  • Options
    I've been drooling over the Matrox TripleHead2Go system for six months now. I would want to buy three new monitors for it as well, but I just can't justify spending the money right now--even if it is for gaming

Just had a look at this and it doesnt appear to let you use each monitor independantly

What i want to have is a different thing open in each display ie Internet, Film, Word etc

I currently have 1 AGP card with DVI & VGA both being used, shopping for a PCI card very soon icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the info guys

Lee H
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I've been drooling over the Matrox TripleHead2Go system for six months now. I would want to buy three new monitors for it as well, but I just can't justify spending the money right now--even if it is for gaming. :)

Awesome new monitor on sale for $400: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6095

I think it's identical to their other 24" except for the usb/card reader/component video in. It's also 1ms faster.

Go get 3 of those ;)
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    Just had a look at this and it doesnt appear to let you use each monitor independantly
    Most multi-monitor setups simply extend the current desktop over multiple monitors. You would need a triple-head graphics card to have a different virtual desktop on each monitor. I've only done that on Linux system and with dual-head cards.
    dynamik wrote:
    That is a nice monitor. I periodically look for good deals on Dell UltraSharp Widescreen flat panel refurbs at the Dell Outlet Store. If I picked up two more UltraSharp 2007WFP 20-inch flat panels and the Matrox box, I'd be spending just under $1000. That'd be a heck of an Xmas present to myself! :D
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I'm in the same market for a 3rd monitor as well....I'm considering UltraMon it seems to be highly recommended by many hardware rig forums and reviews.

The features are also pretty impressive.
    UltraMon is definitely a good product. I've used it at last my last job and it worked really well - lots of customization options too.
  • Options
    The Multi-Monitor FAQ has a good explanation of the difference between multi-monitor mode (Windows, UltraMon) and Span/Stretch Mode (Matrox DualHead2Go/TripleHead2Go). With a dual-head graphics card and the Matrox box you can actually use both modes simultaneously.

And why has UltraMon 3.0 been in beta for seven months? The last release was a year ago.
  • Options
    am i missing the plot here

if i put in a PCI card for a 3rd display, will i actually have 3 independant displays

Lee H
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    UltraMon is a great tool....

I'm using it right now...
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn