Newbie: MCDST & Network + questions

Eric-MellowEric-Mellow Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I had some questions. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!

First, I'm A+ certified and have been working at a call center for two years now. But, I'm moving to another state and need to start fresh with another job (still searching). At this moment I'm not expanding in my career. So I was thinking of getting 2 more certifications. The MCDST & Network +. I was thinking of getting into desktop support as an tech support analyst. And eventually move into networking. These are my questions:

1. Which certification should I study for first?

2. Can I buy the training books and study on my own? Do I need to take classes?

3. Will getting these two certifications help me move up in the IT field?

4. Roughly, how much in salary will one make with the 3 certifications mentioned?

5. Is the MCDST still a current certification? Or do I need to upgrade for Vista?

6. Do the MCDST & Network+ certifications become obselete in the future?

I do appreciate all of the help. I know these are a lot of questions. I just don't know where to start. Thank you very much in advance.

Comments

• Eric-MellowEric-Mellow Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bump! Would there be anyone to help?

Thanks.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bump! Would there be anyone to help?
    Okay, I'll take a shot at it - but these are mostly just opinons! :)
    1. Which certification should I study for first?
    That one is entirely up to you. Either one is okay. Network+ is only one exam, while MCDST is two.
    2. Can I buy the training books and study on my own? Do I need to take classes?
    Study on your own for these exams. They are entry level and not too hard if you are comfortable around computers.
    3. Will getting these two certifications help me move up in the IT field?
    Well they won't hurt, and you will probably learn a few things in the process.
    4. Roughly, how much in salary will one make with the 3 certifications mentioned?
    Too many variables to answer that one. icon_wink.gif
    5. Is the MCDST still a current certification? Or do I need to upgrade for Vista?
    It's still pretty current and useful for Helpdesk positions. Vista will be more popular in a year or so than it is right now.
    6. Do the MCDST & Network+ certifications become obselete in the future?
    No, I think they are life time certs. I know the Net+ is anyway, and I think the MCDST is too.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Eric-MellowEric-Mellow Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the reply sprkymrk. I really appreciate your honest answers!

I'll definitely start STUDYING for the MCDST cert.