Options

Fork in the road

Every year arounf this time I plan for the next year. I have been pondering what direction to go
with my next career move. I currently work for a state agency although small we are very tech forward . I dont get to work on every project but the guys sit the next row over from me so you cant help but hear what thay have going on.I dont know whether to move to another agency because to basically make it you have to move around from agency to agency. Or should I move to a small to medium sized company or try to get on with the big boys in corporate america. I have learned the hard way that people are people anywhere you go and that there will be @## holes at any job. I have been researching various industries and it looks like healthcare IT is going to grow in the next few years. I just recently was married so I need to maximize my income to raise a family etc .. etc but I dont want to chase $$$ for $$ sake.
Just want to hear any thought from those that have been where i am going

Comments

• Options
    CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hear you. I am kind of in the same boat. I work for a state government as an enterprise network engineer. We handle the entire WAN for the state. I have thought about going to a private company, but it is really hard to give up the benefits that governmental jobs give.

I looked at the healthcare industry, and even interviewed and was offered a job, but turned it down as they wouldn't pay me close to what I am making now. If I was you, look around the state and see what agencies are moving forward technologically. Get in with them, and you can get ahead.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Options
    RATTLERMANRATTLERMAN Member Posts: 151
    The other agencies are just as bad... you basically have to come in and get the money up front
    because the chances of advancement are slim to none. Old heads dont move around that much and they are trying to keep the young lions at bay. The benefits though great are costing us more and more each year. I have some irons in the fire i guess patience is the operative word right now.