Options

Certification-wise, when is it best to look for a new job?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm really burning out at my current position, but I'd like to get a few more certs under my belt before I move. Does anyone have any advice as to when would be a good time to move on?

Here's a little background: I'm going for my MCSE +Security, and I'd like to tack on a CCNA. I was doing an exam per month, but then I took two psych courses in addition to a Japanese course in addition to working full-time, so that's slowed way down. I need three more semesters of Japanese for my degree (language requirement), which I can take 2-3 nights per week. In other words, no degree until May, 2009, but it won't interfere with work. I have over two years of experience managing approximately 30 users in a 2003 server environment.

What do you all is the best time to move on:
MCSA
MCSE
MCSE +S
MCSE +S, CCNA
MCSE +S, CCNA, Degree

I'm trying to maximize my pay and position (responsibilities, opportunities to advance, etc.), and I don't want to hop around a lot because that looks bad on the 'ol resume. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Honestly, I'd wait to really put yourself out there until you finish your degree. From the sounds of it, you're working on the MCSE and the CCNA at the same time as the degree, so you'll have the whole trifecta in 2009. By that time, you'll also have four years' experience, as opposed to two, so you'll have that advantage as well. Keep an eye out for potential jobs, but I wouldn't jump ship while you're balancing out work, school, and certs at the same time. The change of pace and work responsibilities tend to derail at least one educational path, if not both. Stick with the place you're at now, unless something unique comes along, then hit that job-search as soon as you've got that degree in hand.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. That's kind of what I figured.

I'd actually probably have more certs by the time I graduate as well. Think a CCNP in a year is doable?

I'm also bringing in Exchange this year, so that'll give me something else to do. Maybe I'll do Sharepoint next year... There's just not enough here for a full-time IT person, so I get dragged into a lot of other menial tasks. Maybe I can keep things tolerable for another 18 months by doing a major project every so often.

Anyone else have anything to add?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Yup, all those things will be helpful. More and more job-descriptions assume Exchange 2003/2007 knowledge when you say you're MCSE certified. MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Admin might be something to think about. SharePoint knowledge is beginning to appear in more and more listings as well. You'll probably have to focus on one area at a time, so doing a bunch of Exchange stuff, SharePoint stuff, and CCNP might be a little much for the same one-year period. As for the time-frame, I think that a year to get through the CCNP exams is very doable. Just get yourself some equipment, the books, and start going through one topic, one test at a time until you've got it.

Good luck, and definitely keep us posted on your progress.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Poison ReversePoison Reverse Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:

Anyone else have anything to add?

I think you should focus on one thing at a time and you will be more efficient in acquiring it
    I'm a CCVP, so whatchya sayin'?

[quote:e64f0204e0="damsel_in_tha_net"]Oh shoot! Is that Angel Eyes? :shock:.[/quote]
  • Options
    I think you should focus on one thing at a time and you will be more efficient in acquiring it

I only have three classes left for my degree, but they are all sequential, so there is no way I can finish any sooner than 18 months. With only one class per semester, I have a lot of spare time to pursue certifications. My dillema is simply that I would like to move on to another job ASAP, but I do not want to land in another position with no opportunity for growth. I'm not having any problems with obtaining any of my credentials, and to be honest, multiple projects keeps things interesting for me. I appreciate the feedback though; thanks for the response :)
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sounds like you are putting ALOT on your shoulders. You may be running the risk of burn out. Take your time and remember to enjoy yourself aswell. Thats my motto. because whats the point of all this if you cant enjoy it too.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your happiness is most important. When you are not happy at all with your current job then you need to leave.

What is your current experience? What are your goals? How much do you really know?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!