Options

My CCIE Story

Comments

• Options
    CCIE-4-HIRECCIE-4-HIRE Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Real life Private VLANs to deal with tonight. So I might as well make it a permanent part of my memory. Today was spent doing design work. Lots of VLAN issues to deal with, Firewall issues, and of course the should we use a routing protocol or HSRP and going over the advantages and disadvantages of each in terms of failover times was quite interesting.
  • Options
    Starting Soup-to-Nuts Labs today.
  • Options
    Well, the Private VLAN Labs in Soup to Nuts are very clear and very accurate. So thumbs up from this end of the table. I'm going to be spending the rest of the week working on them and probably the next week too.
  • Options
    Bringing my little story up to date. I read through the entire Soup to Nuts. And I found some things a little distrubing. Anyone remember "Groundhog Day"? Well if you are working through Soup to Nuts and you feel like deja vu, it is probably true. And the no service password recovery was not there even when it was started. It just was not finished. Maybe I got a bad copy? There were a few things I'd like to have seen in it that were not covered and my version on has two switches so maybe it is just not updated. There are other things too. It is good and has interesting factoids. Overall I'm happy, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to give it 5 stars when I am done. In fact, to be fair, I am going to have to go through the command reference since some topics are clearly missing.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    my version on has two switches so maybe it is just not updated.
    When NLI (ccbootcamp) was selling it, there was an update from the 2 switch 2006 version to the 2007 exam 4 switch version -- but most of it seems to have stayed the same.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    I got it from Narbik so I did get it from the source. I understand he wrote it.
  • Options
    Well life is good. Studying has been fun lately. I am meeting a protege of the first CCIE, Terry Slattery on Wednesday. I former employee of his and a contemporary of Bruce Caslow and Val Pavlichenko and others from the Chesepeake/Mentor Technologies group. Wow! This feels like fun. We are to speak of certifications and of Cisco Press books and everything Cisco. Sounded kewl. I won't mention his name but he works for Cisco. I'm really awed that he he is taking the time to meet with me for lunch.

BTW - The 20,000th CCIE was given out today for those who might not already know, apparently to a CCIE Security candidate. Pretty cool.
  • Options
    Setting up my ACS Server and a mirror IAS Server for RADIUS. Better to test it than assume it works. SSH works great all the time. But I want to compare my options and even send RADIUS requests to the 2nd server in the event the first the server / group fails. Will this work? One way to find out.

After this, I'm going to get the Boomerang and the CE560 setup to verify DRP and WCCP 100%. Only one way to verify and that is to actually see it work and debug it. I want to know rather than assume.
  • Options
    Narbik's class is just awesome. Ethan Banks is here. Darby Weaver is here. Darby got banned from Groupstudy over his post. Paul Cosgrove is here from the UK. A lot of people and Narbik's presentation is really awesome but you can read Darby's post and Ethan's Blog to see what they wrote. Everything is clear concise and accurate. I agree this is the class of classes. I might even throw everything else away. Soup to Nuts by Narbik sucks compared to his class. The class is the cheapest too and he said he will give us his COD for free for a while too. I love this class. I love this class. I love this class. It seems like everyone here loves this class too. Who knew?
  • Options
    Plugging away at QoS tonight. It is a lot but I got motivated by Narbik's presentation in class. It was really very good.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Plugging away at QoS tonight. It is a lot but I got motivated by Narbik's presentation in class. It was really very good.

How are your studies going?
  • Options
    Going very well. I was talking with a friend and we both decided it is very time intensive to monitor groups like groupstudy and even frequent a lot of forums while studying for the ccie lab. It can hurt as much as it helps. So I've been trying not to turn up my browser except for cisco.com while I am studying. I think it is more productive.
  • Options
    I've been working hard and even harder. I did some practice labs. I'm scoring about 70 percent now. I still miss a few things that are either switching or igp related.

I understand most of this stuff and usually just geting an hurry and I've lost points as a result. I'm going back over my Chris Bryant Trainsignal videos and notes and I like them very much in fact.

I passed the CCIE Written exam a couple of months back. So I just want to get my scores consistently in the 80's before I schedule a lab date. BGP is giving me some headaches though. My multicasting is really good unless I error in an IGP.

I had some challenges. QoS was one that scared the death from me. But let me tell you it is understandable. You just need to practice it alot. After a while you understand priority queueing and the how to use the MQC. Flipping bits is not impossible either. Basic binary actually. It is intimidating. I'm willing to answer therapy questions on this one.

Manipulating traffic is the last thing on my mind. I've pretty much got it now. But I'll tell you it still beats me in some tougher scenarios. I should tell everyone that I have fully mastered the Cisco DOC CD and I'm glad for that. I can find things no quickly and easily.

I think I'm starting to feel like a CCIE now. I actually said it. I expect I'll go to me first attempt before the end of the year at this rate. This last 30 points are going to be really hard to achieve and it may take me longer to get them but I'm in no particular hurry. I just want to be a real CCIE and I'm taking my time to make it happen. For me this is a special achievement and I am going to buy the leather bomber jacket. No I am not going to tatto my number on my any part of my body.
  • Options
    I found a nice list of CCIE's here: http://nuone.freewebpage.org/cciehalloffame.html It lists the first CCIE as well, Stuart Biggs.

Stuart Biggs is the guy who apparently debugged the fist lab and he was made the honored by being the first CCIE 1025.

Remember 1024 was given to the lab itself. Terry Slattery was effectively the first non-Cisco employee to pass a CCIE lab.

How's that for some trivia?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been working hard and even harder. I did some practice labs. I'm scoring about 70 percent now. I still miss a few things that are either switching or igp related.

I understand most of this stuff and usually just geting an hurry and I've lost points as a result. I'm going back over my Chris Bryant Trainsignal videos and notes and I like them very much in fact.

I passed the CCIE Written exam a couple of months back. So I just want to get my scores consistently in the 80's before I schedule a lab date. BGP is giving me some headaches though. My multicasting is really good unless I error in an IGP.

I had some challenges. QoS was one that scared the death from me. But let me tell you it is understandable. You just need to practice it alot. After a while you understand priority queueing and the how to use the MQC. Flipping bits is not impossible either. Basic binary actually. It is intimidating. I'm willing to answer therapy questions on this one.

Manipulating traffic is the last thing on my mind. I've pretty much got it now. But I'll tell you it still beats me in some tougher scenarios. I should tell everyone that I have fully mastered the Cisco DOC CD and I'm glad for that. I can find things no quickly and easily.

I think I'm starting to feel like a CCIE now. I actually said it. I expect I'll go to me first attempt before the end of the year at this rate. This last 30 points are going to be really hard to achieve and it may take me longer to get them but I'm in no particular hurry. I just want to be a real CCIE and I'm taking my time to make it happen. For me this is a special achievement and I am going to buy the leather bomber jacket. No I am not going to tatto my number on my any part of my body.

First off, welcome back to posting on the forums. In case I havent congratulated you on your CCIE written already, please accept my grats! It sure would be a special achievement for you, for anyone for that matter to be a real CCIE (not just feeling like one!). You can see it coming, that MAGIC NUMBER! We'll all be barracking for you to get that number by the end of this year. I think Turgon is targetting this year as well. Good luck to both of you! icon_thumright.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks Mobilone. And I think Turgon may already be there. I guess we'll find out when he gets his chance. I was planning on writing more but to be honest I have little time apart from studying when I can. Good luck to everyone.
  • Options
    Think I will bump this. It's been over a year since we heard from you. How are you getting on with the studies?
  • Options
    I am going to the lab in about a month to pass. There is no retreat and there will be no surrender. I am just going to get my number.
  • Options
    I am going to the lab in about a month to pass. There is no retreat and there will be no surrender. I am just going to get my number.

That's the spirit. I know your first attempt was projected for the end of 2008. Good to know you kept at it regardless. It's a lot of work to prepare and you need lots oftime to do it. Let us know how it works out.
  • Options

Thought I would bump this as we haven't heard from you in well over a year again and you were studying hard for your lab. How did your attempt go? Are you done with prep yet or still at it?
  • Options
    I guess we lost CCIE-4-HIRE
  • Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Turgon wrote: »
    I guess we lost CCIE-4-HIRE

Guess so, "Last Activity: 10-09-2009 09:59 PM".
  • Options
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Guess so, "Last Activity: 10-09-2009 09:59 PM".

It's a tough track. In the 3.5 years I have been on TE only 5 regulars have managed to pass the lab exam.
  • Options
    CCIE2BCCIE2B Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's a tough track. In the 3.5 years I have been on TE only 5 regulars have managed to pass the lab exam.

Wow. I myself work with a double CCIE and he is also a JNCIE now as well. He is the most knowledgeable IE I have met soo far.

This is one of hte toughest certs to get hands down.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    CCIE2B wrote: »
    Wow. I myself work with a double CCIE and he is also a JNCIE now as well. He is the most knowledgeable IE I have met soo far.

This is one of hte toughest certs to get hands down.

I honestly don't think the CCIE is *that* hard. I think alot of folks buy entirely too much into it's mystique, which is good when it comes to getting contracts or jobs, but not so good when you're studying for it.

It is, without a doubt, involved, but it's not like you're doing highly complex mathematical research, or trying to cure cancer or anything like that.

The biggest mistake most folks make is they forget it's a marathon and not a sprint. Every single time I see the new and excited exuberance of someone saying about how they're all pumped up to start their CCIE, I sigh internally, because the simple fact is that most folks simply don't have the motivation and the drive to follow through on it.

The folks that have been following the path for a couple years and are still active on it are the ones most likely to succeed. It all boils down to talk being cheap :)

And Turgon, if I manage to pass the CCIE before you, I'm going to fly over to the UK, find you, and give you a kick square in the pants!
  • Options
    I honestly don't think the CCIE is *that* hard. I think alot of folks buy entirely too much into it's mystique, which is good when it comes to getting contracts or jobs, but not so good when you're studying for it.

It is, without a doubt, involved, but it's not like you're doing highly complex mathematical research, or trying to cure cancer or anything like that.

The biggest mistake most folks make is they forget it's a marathon and not a sprint. Every single time I see the new and excited exuberance of someone saying about how they're all pumped up to start their CCIE, I sigh internally, because the simple fact is that most folks simply don't have the motivation and the drive to follow through on it.

The folks that have been following the path for a couple years and are still active on it are the ones most likely to succeed. It all boils down to talk being cheap :)

And Turgon, if I manage to pass the CCIE before you, I'm going to fly over to the UK, find you, and give you a kick square in the pants!

hehehe, not if I kick you first. I agree it isn't that hard. There's just a lot of stuff to cover and you need to be putting the hours in on a daily basis to get through it. One of the problems is bad maths. Folks estimate they have 3 hours free each day and all weekend to study which equates to a lot of time across a year. But they forget the toll that takes and the sustainability. I know a number of people who cram for three months then fail, drop out for 9 months while they reconnect with life, cram for another 3, fail etc. It really doesn't matter how long it takes, just get it finished. End of 2011will do me just fine. Since 2007 I had three job changes, all pressure jobs, one internationally and started raising two kids. It's all about priorities in life and what is practical and to some extent what those around you will tolerate ;)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Aptly put Turgon. All of you CCIE wannabes inspire me immensely.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    hehehe, not if I kick you first. I agree it isn't that hard. There's just a lot of stuff to cover and you need to be putting the hours in on a daily basis to get through it. One of the problems is bad maths. Folks estimate they have 3 hours free each day and all weekend to study which equates to a lot of time across a year. But they forget the toll that takes and the sustainability. I know a number of people who cram for three months then fail, drop out for 9 months while they reconnect with life, cram for another 3, fail etc. It really doesn't matter how long it takes, just get it finished. End of 2011will do me just fine. Since 2007 I had three job changes, all pressure jobs, one internationally and started raising two kids. It's all about priorities in life and what is practical and to some extent what those around you will tolerate ;)

Yup. A gentleman I respect greatly is fond of expressing a couple sentiments - The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time, and every time I read the book, the turtle wins the race. That's basically how I look at the CCIE.
  • Options
    Thanks for checking on me. I did not pass. I stepped away from my CCIE Journey and now I am thinking of starting over again. It looks like a lot more now than it was before. I am older now and maybe a little more able.

Wish me luck I am getting ready to start reviewing the requirements again and reading the configuration guides to see what changed and the forum.
  • Options
    Ijaz_AhmedIjaz_Ahmed Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi CCIE-4-HIRE