Options

Organ donors

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
It's your own decision what happens to the organs and tissue in your body when you die, but I have always been a supporter of donating them upon death. Rather than waste them, it's better to give them to someone who needs them. There are a lot of people dying because they can't get the organs they need to live.

My dad was dying of liver failure in 1996 and was suppose to have died on the day of his surgery, but he managed to get the new liver he needed in time. A construction worker was killed on the job that day and he was a donor, so his liver went to my father. Unfortunately, there was another man at that hospital who also needed a liver...he was #2 on the patent list, meaning he had to wait for the next one to come along. That guy died.

It's a serious problem and happens everyday, but people rarely think about these things or know that it's even happening. It's not hard to become a donor and those body parts aren't going to be necessary in the afterlife(if you believe in one). icon_lol.gif

http://www.organdonor.gov/donor/index.htm (US site)
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk (UK site)
Those organs won't go to waste and will likely save someone's life somewhere. Heck...in a way, you could also "live on," so-to-speak. ;)

I have a little card that I just have to carry in my wallet, and you can have it put on your drivers license.

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

Well i never knew that, you can put it on your drivers license

I have heard that some countries have a compulsory law that gives your body parts to other people when you die, and oposite to ours you also need a donnor card but to opt out instead

Thanks for the info i shall soon have it on my license

Lee H
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    yup, i have mine on my license.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Its just a little pic in the corner on mine. Why would you not donate them? You don't need them anymore!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did a presentation on the topic for a class back when I was in college, and I recall some people being reluctant to give up their organs, as selfish as it seems. It's their choice...but like you said, there's no reason to hold on to them when you die. :)

If you donate a few organs, they patch you back up and noone will know that they are gone. It doesn't really effect "open-casket" funerals. There's no real drawback that I know of.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680