Options

Tutoring?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
As another of my "GET RICH NOA~" schemes, I've decided to try tutoring people. I trained someone who knew nothing about computers to the point where he could get his A+, so it shouldn't be too hard. ;)

How much do tutors charge these days?
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It would seem there's one floating about the forums charging $0.10/minute but for one on one in person tutoring for A+ you could ask for $20/hour or so, possibly a little more, perhaps a little less. The "more difficult" the topic the more somone would expect to pay.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I don't tutor people privately, I do however in the evening teach at the local college (when they want me to). I get an unqualified tutors rate at £18 ($36 approx) inclusive before tax p/h.

And that's for teaching a professional course (eg A+, MCDST, MCSA, MCSE).

-Ken
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    See if you can get groups together. You can make it more affordable for them and make more per hour. A+ doesn't require one-on-one.
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    you should make a survey in your place. i tried tutorial lessons before and it was fun. a lady came to my place wearing a mini and shes so beautiful. when she asked me how much should i charge her per hour i just said its up to you. thats because im a bit on the shy side.
    The "more difficult" the topic the more somone would expect to pay.

I agree with Sir dtokee
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    KGhaleon wrote:

How much do tutors charge these days?

What's your time worth?

If you were not tutoring....what else would you be doing?

You could tutor a few at a lower cost to see how you enjoy it and they respond. After you have some success stories behind you, you could charge more.

Then there is the the more you charge, the more valued the service is approach. MA instructors hit this conversation frequently. The MA who teaches for fun a few students in their garage...has fewer students and less retention then the McDojo's or Belt Mills ($$$ = blackbelt in whatever MA you want).

If it is something you'd like and you'd be doing 'nothing' good with your time, $20-50 per hour depending on your target audience. If you require your student to actually do some work...I'd probably be mid-way in that range so they know you are serious about helping them reach their goals.

Probably the best place to start is do some market research (if you are doing this locally) of what the market is willing to pay. Then open up shop :)

If you are thinking of doing this remotely via PayPal...part of your market research may be already in process for you. Consider a separate PayPal account as to keep your records separate for income reporting reasons. Something done face-to-face in a college setting....little different (if you catch the drift.....;))
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking at others tutors and trying to find out what they charge. $30-50 an hour may be too much for some people.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    The professional places like Sylvan and Kumon charge quite a bit. Even the local Y is $50 an hour and that's just for general school work.

Just will depend on your market. Also, consider if you are traveling to them, they are coming to you, or if you are meeting some place neutral in your price.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?