Options

Anyone Use Share Point Service

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
In an office environment as a substitute for mapped drives?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A department or two in our corporate office has begun using SharePoint as the primary collaboration area for their department's content. We'd like to get more buy-in from the rest of the business but it's such a change in mindset and culture that it will not come over night.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What exactly are you trying to do?

I believe the applications have to specifically be designed to use Sharepoint. For example, Excel and Word save directly to Sharepoint. I know a lot of things we use, such as the Adobe applications, will not be able to take advantage of this. I don't know if you can manually upload other files into it through a web browser or something, but that seems like it would be more cumbersome than simply using a share/mapped drive.

Sharepoint Services is free, so download it and play around with it.
  • Options
    I'm pretty familiar with it and have played with it , I am just curious to who actually uses it and how its working now. It seems like it could resolve some issues with messy public folders and make finding data easier and communication among employees better.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    This demo is a very good explanation of what can be done with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA102055631033.aspx
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    This demo is a very good explanation of what can be done with Windows SharePoint Services 3.0:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointtechnology/HA102055631033.aspx

thanks JD
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Has anyone read anything about any integration with SharePoint/BizTalk Server and Google's OpenSocial API? It seems like a whole new world of social networking features would be available to SharePoint users.