Certified Question (looking to get MCSE)

superrob5superrob5 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been in the working field for about 4 yrs and now deciding to get some certs. I am leaning towards the MCSE for 2003 but I know 2008 is slowly coming out.

what is my best option to get certified?

Comments

• JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    I would say to get certified in the technology that you work with. If your a 2003 shop, then go for the 2003 certs -- they will be available for many years to come. If you know your firm is going to bleeding edge and go with 2008 as soon as it comes out, then hold off and start with the 2008 certs in a few months once they become available.
  • superrob5superrob5 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well I am not to worried about the place I am working
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2003 will be the dominate platform for a few years to come. A 2003 MCSE will give you a great foundation, and you can always upgrade to 2008 with just one exam: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

Go 2003 unless you have a specific reason to do 2008.
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    dynamik wrote:
    2003 will be the dominate platform for a few years to come. A 2003 MCSE will give you a great foundation, and you can always upgrade to 2008 with just one exam: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

Go 2003 unless you have a specific reason to do 2008.

That's not entirely right, while there is one upgrade exam for the MCSE (and MCSA), you do not get the MCITP: EA (new version of the MCSE) status just by doing that one exam.

If you're a----Upgrade exam----Plus these exam(s)
    Final creds:

MCSE 2k3
    70-647
    70-620 or 70-624
    MCTS & MCITP: EA
    MCSE 2k3
    70-647
    But take none
    MCTS
    MCSA 2k3
    70-646
    N/A
    MCTS & MCITP: SA

See here for the full explaination from MS Comms.

-Ken
  • Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that Ninja Boy and there I was thinking I could take one exam.

It depends what you work with there is plenty of material out for 2003 so if you are starting now I would do 2003 and then upgrade.
  • r0bskir0bski Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    about upgrading from 2003>2008 ....

When i logged onto the MCP site a few days ago, i noticed this in the highlight area.

Transition to Windows Server 2008 certifications (worldwide)
    MCSA and MCSE 2003, get ready! In this meeting, we will review plans for upcoming Windows Server 2008 certifications, explain the transition path for MCSA and MCSE 2003, point you to the live exams and study resources, and have plenty of time for questions and answers.

• December 5, 2007, at 7:30 A.M. Pacific Time
    • December 5, 2007, at 5:00 P.M. Pacific Time

Signed myself up for th 7:30A.M. event.

(I hope i am allowed to copy and paste from MS site ?)

As this is something i plan to do, i am looking forward to this event.
    Working towards MCSE2003
    Thanks for the link. Here's another link that explains it fairly well: http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/?p=264&akst_action=share-this
    My buddy gave me information on this company for training

Its called Micropower Computer Institute and my work will pay for it. They will do hands on and training you for the MCSE 2003.

Has anyone done this with them?
    They said each exam takes about 2-3 weeks class room time (sat 10-4:30) and they said most people right after the last day take the test.

Rob
    superrob5 wrote:
    They said each exam takes about 2-3 weeks class room time (sat 10-4:30)

It's only one day per week for 6.5 hours? Do you have to work through their curriculum on your own throughout the week? That doesn't seem like it's even close to enough time to genuinely learn the material.
    well what I was told the class that I can do is saturday 6 hr classes. 30 mins for lunch.

They said it would take about 12-18 hrs per test to go over. Its also a hands on class.

I also know that I am going to have to study but I am trying to get a feel for if this is worth it or to do it on my own.

My work is paying for it if I want it
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    12-18 hours per test? I don't know if you'd have an ice cube's chance in hell of passing the exams in such a short amount of time.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • mattford1978mattford1978 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    unless you really know your subject I would say more like 30-40 hours per exam. I knew a little about some of my exams but still wanted to get a real grasp of the subject.

better to be on the safe side unless you have photographic memory!!
    unless you really know your subject I would say more like 30-40 hours per exam. I knew a little about some of my exams but still wanted to get a real grasp of the subject.

better to be on the safe side unless you have photographic memory!!

no i hear ya I can't see it hurting me to take the classes plus my own studying. My work will pay it all for me.

Has anyone taking the classes at http://mpow.com/newmpow/build/index.asp and can you tell me how it was?

Thanks

Rob
    well i know its about 15 hrs per book i think max and i know alot of studying has to be done, but I am trying to get more of an idea on what I am in for in order pass sucessfully each time. I know its different for everyone.
    superrob5 wrote:
    well i know its about 15 hrs per book i think max and i know alot of studying has to be done, but I am trying to get more of an idea on what I am in for in order pass sucessfully each time. I know its different for everyone.

I watch CBT Nuggets, read a book or two, practice exercises with virtual machines, and take the Transcender practice exams. The only exam I haven't passed thus far was the one I forgot to reschedule while I was on vacation icon_redface.gif

I haven't kept track of the exact number of hours per exam. I can do about one a month when working full time. Things are going much slower now that I am taking 3 college courses as well.
    thanks for the info.