Options

Wireless network connection

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
That little thing in the right hand corner of your windows operating system. ;)

I live in a condo which has several APs all around the facility, but I always seem to be having connection problems. I've mentioned this numerous times in other topics and mentioned it to management. Lately I've noticed the speed changing frequently. It seems to jump between the following:
11.0Mbps
5.5Mbps
2.0Mbps
1.0Mbps

Kinda sucks when your using a 1.0Mbps connection and it tells you the signal strength is "very good." bah icon_mad.gif
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have a 802.11b wirless card? If so you should probably upgrade to 802.11g which offers higher bandwidth up to 54mbps. Also make sure the APs support 802.11g before you do that. I'm assuming they do if they are not ancient.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll have to check and see if it might be the AP. My card is of the G standard, so is it possible there's a setting restricting it? It's a Belkin card with the latest driver, but fairly new...I do question its reliability.

I looked over my settings and made some changes. I set the card to only connect to infrastructure networks and I also noticed some "Default adhoc wirelessmode" setting under the advanced options which was set to 802.11b. This was probably normal, but I changed it to G. No change...which was expected since I'm not on an adhoc network. :/

I email management and asked them to get back to me about whether their APs were compatible with my G card.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    802.11g is backward compatible with 802.11b so they may be using 802.11b APs. If they are you are out of luck of getting anything higher than 11mbps no matter how close you get to the AP. Also if people are using 802.11b cards with an 802.11b/g AP it will add overhead and slow the AP. Best bet would be to use all 802.11g APs and wireless clients.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Is it still the case that one 802.11b device on a 802.11g network affectes all devices and lowers the data transfer for the G devices by up to 30%?

{edit - appears you beat me to it networker050184 :D }
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools