Options

Anti virus for new Windows 2003 Servers

dpsdps Member Posts: 116
We're trying to stay away from Symantec and boiled down to 3 anti-virus for our new servers (and 30+ workstations running on XP and 2k).

These are:
1. Sophos
2. NOD32 - sounds like a virus
3. Kaspersky - and this one too :p

Any thoughts on these programs? Pros/Cons - ease of use and installation, licensing, price, etc..
If you have other recommendations I'd certainly appreciate it.
Focused and Steady.

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well out of the 3 i have used sophos at work. Seems OK and has picked up a few viruses over the time but THANKFULLY it hasnt been put against a real threat so its hard to tell. th eone thing i would say about the version of sophos we have is that it takes up ALOT of system resources, i mean im not kidding we had some pc's which were using 256 happily then bam! we put sophos on and had to upgrade them all to 512!

ive heard good things about kaspersky, im actually thinking about getting an eval copy of this for my home pc because ive heard all round its the best out there, but again i havent used it first hand so i cant put my house on it!

and the 3rd one i havent heard of or come across as yet.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    DPS and I PM'd about this yesterday, and I'll throw in my vote for Kaspersky.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    I believe either of the first 2, should be suffice. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from both products from various ppl..

Just stay away from E-Trust... piece of ****...die!!
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I've had nothing but trouble with Sophos. I actually would recommend Panda.

-Ken
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    We've been using Nod32 Enterprise Edition for 2 years on over 250 servers and it's been great.

Admittedly, we've had a couple of false positives (mostly IIS logfiles!) which we could probably stop if we changed some of the indepth settings, but overall it's been stable, fast and the central reporting tools with the Enterprise Edition are great for pleasing upper level managers and clients alike.

I wasn't that impressed with Sophos when we tested it, but thats mostly my personal opinion.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Computer Associates
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    NOD32 has been rated the best scanner in several comparison articles. My only other choice would be Kaspersky.

And please, if you install Panda on your server take a screenshot for me. Because I'll laugh.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Wouldn't it be an ideal solution to only need AV on the proxy server, scanning all incoming traffic for virus's

This would negate the need for client AV's

Lee H
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    Wouldn't it be an ideal solution to only need AV on the proxy server, scanning all incoming traffic for virus's

Lee H

Viruses introduced via thumbdrives, CD's, floppies, VPN's, SSL, or actually written and compiled on a local workstation by a malicious user would all wreak havoc on your network.

We do have AV scanning on the firewall of http, ftp and email traffic as part of an overall defence though.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Lee H wrote:

Lee H

What about viruses introduced from within the network from a thumb drive or other device?

edit: you beat me to the punch!!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dpsdps Member Posts: 116
    So we decided to try the eval copy of Sophos for our servers.
    Turned out the Central Console program (w/c is a separate program) is not compatible with 64-bit machines. The tech support guy told me the actual program itself is fine with 64-bit machines but the Console program (program to update/install Sophos to workstations) isn't.

ncool.gif

So i decided to un-install the program and look for other options.
    NOD32 and Kaspersky?
    Hmm...
    Have to take a look on these two.
    Any other choices? Is Trend Micro any good?

Thanks for all your input.
    Focused and Steady.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Trend sucks.

Seriously dude, take a look at NOD32. I can honestly say it's one of the only AV solutions I've ever worked with that the only interaction it has ever needed was me installing it the first time. I installed it and have never had to worry about it again. The fact that just about every machine gets the exact same client is wonderful! I can force it out company-wide with a single push and be done with it.
  • Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    We have etrust and have had to uninstall it from our servers because it does something to our webconfig and knocks everyone out of our web application.

I'm not sure if its e-trusts fault, or our crappy web app... Maybe both?