Options

What is your office/work area and PC like?

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
I'm interested how everyone else is geared up?

I've got an office about 12ftx24ft deep, with a large window to the outside world and another window looking into the office w/ blinds. L shaped desk with 2 chairs in front of it. Dell laptop on a dock w/ 2 20" widescreen ultra sharp monitors. Techexams/Outlook on the right monitor and RDP servers on the left. icon_lol.gif Another desk for whatever and my safe. Working hard...or hardly working?

Comments

• Options
    BigToneBigTone Member Posts: 283
    L-shaped desk and its pretty much covered with computers and papers, and gum wrappers.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Corporate:

BIg L shaped Wood desk. Lamp, my fake marijuana tree (thats what everyone calls it anyways, I guess its the leaves), big glass window and glass door next to me. Clean desk with miscellaneous items like diagrams, phonelist, product spec sheets, backup tapes.

2 P.C's on a little KVM and a Co. laptop. One P.C for personal use like websurfing and techexams. The other PC is used to launch RDP sessions to various servers, testing scripts, admin type stuff.

Branch Office:

Server room is my office so you can only imagine.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A cube in a workshop that sits in a warehouse-like structure. No windows. Cipher locked door to the workshop area (actually it used to be a workshop, now it's just a conveinent place to put some cubes). Share the "office" with my Program Manager, the other LAN Admin, and 2 techs. The secretary and 3 other techs reside across the "warehouse" in a sort-of outbuilding that was attached as an after thought, resembles a shed. At least they have a door with a window that looks outside.

My cube has an L-shaped desk with my Dell Optiplex 745 and a 24 inch widescreen. Another desk (to my left in the cube) holds my laptop in a dock (Dell D620) with a standard 19 inch LCD monitor. I have 2 bookshelves and a file cabinet. I know what it must be like to have an office in a submarine.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I have an office with a floor to ceiling and wall to wall window to the outside, floor to ceiling window back into the office area looking on a couple of admin assistants. I have an L-shaped desk with my Dell Optiplex 745 and a 19 inch LCD Flatscreen. I usually have an extra gx270 or 280 that I use to just stream music from or use as another logon pc when I need to log on with a normal user account. I have a hp laserjet on the corner of my desk, next to my monitor I have a 4 port kvm switch (comes in handy when imaging or troubleshooting multiple pcs). I have 2 bookshelves and a file cabinet. Office is actually nice sized...lots of room for extra monitors, pcs, printers and the like. Desk is somewhat clean...atleast for now...lol...i've got a couple of laptops on the other side with a gx520 that i'm troubleshooting for the moment.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    8x8 cube with 5' walls. Various demotivational posters. New core2duo machine with 24" Dell monitor and a second 17" I brought from home to watch CBT Nuggs while I work. 'bout it.
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    A small 8x8 office with a lovely view of a brick wall 5 ft away from it. Boxes of parts and such stacked filling 2/3's of it. 2 Desktop servers and a desktop workstation. I am never there as I am a consultant. I use it mainly for storage so I don't have to haul around parts everywhere.

24" CRT to keep me warm in the winter. Lol
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    and a 24 inch widescreen.

lol. How did you convince them you needed that?
    Trailerisf wrote:
    24" CRT to keep me warm in the winter. Lol
    bizzzzzt when you turn it on. lol

I actually want to be moved from the general public to a hidden office where no one can bother me.
  • Options
    garv221 wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

No one else wanted it because it was kind of fuzzy. I didn't tell anyone that a DVI card would take care of that - until it was on my desk. icon_wink.gif
    garv221 wrote:
    I actually want to be moved from the general public to a hidden office where no one can bother me.

Only problem is, they always find you. It's nice to be behind locked doors, but it's also a pain getting up to answer the door when someone does stop by.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have to walk thru the NOC to get to my office. I'm the only one sitting there right now because my co-worker is on vacation. However, I get a windows to look outside. I can't tell you where and why. But I like it at least no bother outside the IT section can bother me. When I need to get thing done, then I can sit with my team and get project moving.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    sprkymrk wrote:
    garv221 wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

No one else wanted it because it was kind of fuzzy. I didn't tell anyone that a DVI card would take care of that - until it was on my desk. icon_wink.gif

Ah, being in IT does have its perks. I think we all have done something similar to that. I want a 24in
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I have two offices. One is small, maybe 10x10. Two desks, one for "office" work, like this typing, the other to do the actual work. Office desk has an IBM Thinkcentre, with a 18" lcd. The other desk has a 17" lcd, hooked to a kvm for imaging machines. One file cabinet, and a little room for storage under the desks.....I used to like my other office better, it was much bigger, and nicer. Now the other office is in the basement, in a cage. Yes, a cage. There's not much else to it. There was a storage room by the docks, and they built me a 12x14 cage to work in....I hate it. It actually made me start to update my resume, and look elsewhere......I'm not expecting a corner office, although I did have one for a month or so, but a cage?!?!

:rant over: icon_cry.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    An unholy mess.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I have two offices.
    Oh yeah, I forgot I do too. My other office is about 4x6 with very good lighting, a chair but no desk, and a roll of toilet paper on the wall. icon_lol.gif
    Ricka182 wrote:
    I used to like my other office better, it was much bigger, and nicer.
    Seriously, while my current building was being remodeled, they set up a couple of double wide trailers outside for us. I had a big office with 3 windows looking out over the nice landscape of palm trees and pines. We were off the beaten track so we were rarely bothered except the usual phone calls. That was a wonderful 3 months!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    we recently moved so I now work in your typical "IT dungeon" The server room doubles up as my tech bench, office, and IT storage facility. I have my laptop, my radio from home (my only source of the 'outside world' ;) ), a lab domain w/PC and Server setup for testing. No windows, its centrally located in the building and actually has security features and its own AC unit! (as opposed to the last place). I'm getting less "walk-ins" and more trouble tickets/phone calls; which is a good thing. At the same time, I have nobody to talk/work with so at times can get lonely.

I actually brought my wife to the office over the weekend, and she felt sorry for me...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well i work in an open office single floor near liverpool street station in central london, with lots of room and my own big desk with seperators on eather side, my line manager to my right and my main working buddy to my left. I only have a single monitor currently, at my next review im gonna hint i want dual screens to increase my productivity :p

My other offices are the customer sites I visit, which are typically huge and very modern buildings with loads of marble and art decor everywhere (waste of money if you ask me).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    My office is on the second floor of a building built into a hillside. I am on the side of the building with the first two floors up against the hill, so there are no windows here. Many years ago this part of the building hosted large mainframes so the hallways have small holes in them with air blowing up at you (the ladies learned not to wear dresses). All of their programmers, database, GIS, and IT people have offices hidden down here away from the rest of the building and the sunlight.

I have a U shaped desk where I sit in the middle and have space on either side of me with my PC in front. I use a 20" flat panel monitor and have stacks of papers rotated in various directions all over the place. I have a bookshelf (full also largely with these papers rotated various directions), a small filing cabinet for my own copies of documentation, and another small table (again, paper stacks). I am very good about documenting everything, I just haven't had time to properly file all of it lately so I am slowly losing more and more desk space.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Seems like a lot of IT departments get put down in the dungeons. Like we're the red headed step children of the company. icon_lol.gif
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!