Options

interview question???

huddahudda Member Posts: 101
Hi everyone interview question- your computer is not startup which is dead what are 2 major reasons? I said one can be power supply, 2nd might be HD failer, but they said no HD failer what you think the second reason can be?

Thank you
Hudda.....

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most common cause at my office is that it's unplugged :D

[edit]

A bad HD would still allow the computer to power-on. You'd go through the BIOS and all that, and then you'd get an error along the lines of "Operating System Not Found".
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Not plugged in ;)

(or the switch on the PS tripped).

depending on the environment.
    Rodents or small reptiles nesting inside and short the system.
    Dirt...leading to heat buildup
    NIC fried
    Bad RAM
    Fan died, burning out CPU (if CPU cooler) or whole system overheating and burning out.
    Not on a UPS and a surge took it out.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    If absolutely nothing happens when the power switch is pressed, there's no power going to the PSU, a bad PSU, a bad CPU, or a bad mobo. Every other possible problem will produce (at least) a POST error code beep.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:

Put the case covers back on icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dtlokee wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:

Put the case covers back on icon_wink.gif

Ah, but they were on ;) The building was a nightmare icon_cool.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Something I have learned in the last two years, mind you I just started in IT two years ago. Is that whenever an interviewer/boss asks you a question about how to fix something, they are not just looking for the answer. They are looking for the conversation that goes with it.

So in this case, 'The computer does not "start-up" I would clarify if it's not POSTing or not getting to Windows. HDD failure will not prevent a computer from POSTing. Make sure your conversation includes
    1) Troubleshooting methodology - How should it work? when did it last work? how many are affected? What has changed? All those wonderful A+ steps
    2) They want to hear you talk about your personal experiences - talk about obstacles you've over came.
    3) The want to hear about how you use(d) team work and self motivation
    4) Finally, they want to know how amazing your documentation skills are.

The conversation you hold allows them to evaluate all of those things, as well as how good your customer service skills are going to be under pressure.

Either way, work in a direction unless you have any obvious signs, outlet >> cord >> PSU >> PSU conenction >>Berg/molex connectors firmly planted. Obvious signs would be a burning smell, overloaded outlets, no surge protector/battery backup etc.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Something I have learned in the last two years, mind you I just started in IT two years ago. Is that whenever an interviewer/boss asks you a question about how to fix something, they are not just looking for the answer. They are looking for the conversation that goes with it.

Excellent point. Sometimes they want to know how you would interact with a client or user to diagnose the problem. Instead of blurting out an answer, often you need to ask follow-up questions that will give you more info. Example, "Is the computer plugged in?" or "When you hit the power button does the power light come on, is there any whirring or beeps?" Let's face it, if you are working at a help desk, you will not be sitting in front of the computer, and users often assume that you can read their minds. Asking the right questions will clear up the guesswork and save you time on the repair.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,026 Admin
    The interviewer might also be asking you real problems that the business is currently experiencing. I was hired several times after I just sat and brainstormed with the hiring manager over the problem his department was currently trying to solve. If you can clearly demonstrate how you can make the manager's life easier then you are more likely to be hired.
  • Options
    ITNYCITNYC Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hudda wrote:
    Hi everyone interview question- your computer is not startup which is dead what are 2 major reasons? I said one can be power supply, 2nd might be HD failer, but they said no HD failer what you think the second reason can be?

Thank you
    Hudda.....

I would say if the computer is not even turning on when pressing the power button, 1) Always check the obvious, If it is plugged in. 2) Power Supply could be dead and 3) could be an array of problems but like anothe rposter said here, the interviewer might be seeking a conversation like answer instead of a quick one.