Options

Connecting Remotely to my CCNA Lab

EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have a basic Cisco lab setup for my CCNA Studies (3x 2600xm routers and 2x 3550 switches) .

Next month I will be traveling quite a bit and I'm looking for a way to connect to my lab remotely using my laptop. I really don't have a solid idea where to start: VPN, SSH, a 2511 Access Router, or maybe something else all together?

I'm hoping you guys can lend some ideas on how I can set this up.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I recall, 2500 and 1700's do not support SSH, such including your 2511 access server.

So if you with to secure your communications to your lab remotely then you'd have to setup a vpn then connect to the lab via telnet while vpn'd into a network.

Or you can buy a NM-16A and use a 2600 router with a security feature set to use ssh
    (but this is VERY costly)

hope this helps :)
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    setup a vpn then connect to the lab
    This is what I'd suggest too.

Check out a 2509 as a less expensive option to the 2511. And also consider a remote power controller to remotely power up and/or reboot the hardware.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Any awesome open source VPN software available?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on how you're going to be connected, you may need to consider a solution that can traverse PAT, if there's going to be a NAT device in the path. IPSec and PAT don't typically work well together.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    You could also just plug your console cable into a PC and Access Server.

Remote into the PC, then pull up your terminal session.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    ssh to a machine on your home network, and then from then telnet into the routers and switches.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    EcoEco Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mgeorge27 wrote:
    vpn then connect to the lab via telnet

This was the direction I was looking at and one that seems the most practical. Thanks George :)
    mikej412 wrote:
    And also consider a remote power controller to remotely power up and/or reboot the hardware.

Wow, that's a really good idea. I'll have to look into getting one of these too. If I remember APC can do this with their rackmount UPS and a management card?

You guys are the best, thanks!
  • Options
    reeves122reeves122 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been pondering the same scenario for a while now as well.
    The VPN thing is a good idea actually. It would give me an excuse to set one up as I could use it for other purposes in the future...

What I was just going to do was use port bridging on my router that connects to the cable modem and then just connect via telnet.

I have four 2500 series routers so I'd implement it something like this:

Public port 30010 -> Internal IP 192.168.1.10:23
    Public port 30011 -> Internal IP 192.168.1.11:23
    Public port 30012 -> Internal IP 192.168.1.12:23
    Public port 30013 -> Internal IP 192.168.1.13:23

Then again, you could do as already suggested and just open one telnet port and use that router to telnet to the other three. Bah, the VPN idea is ideal though.
    The EAST Initiative
    "We believe our students will change the world."
    http://www.eastinitiative.com/