Options

Completed 60% of 640-801 book, should I change book?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I've compelted 60% of 640-801 (Todd Lemmle). Should I use his new 640-802 book instead?

No thanks Cisco for changing the exam so quickly icon_twisted.gif Why is Cisco 'babysitting' poeople? I know networking changes day by day, but network admins don't have to be tested on every single bit. Anyways, I'm angry at greedy Cisco. Period. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Should I continue reading 801 or switch to an 802 book?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's up to you but it would appear the new topics aren't yet being heavily tested so it seems there is more of a transition period than the Nov 6 deadline. I would pick up the new book at some point and read the new topics, or pick them up from Cisco's website (this can result in much more study than you need). It may also make sense to get the books from Cisco press so you have a second source other than the Sybex book.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    elvantelvant Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IMO, I would get the new book, since you are taking the new exam. Coz I will feel unsecure to have a study material that do not match to the current scope. This will make me losing focus while I'm study. "Does this topic I study comes up in the exam?" "Do I have to read this topic in details?" You finally get confused and nervous. I assume you have a deadline for yourself to sit the exam, kick the worries away and stay focus to the topics you sure gonna show up in the exam.
    You can always come back to the old topics after the exam to pick up those knowledge.
    What is done is done, what yet to be done will be done. While in the process of doing, enjoy it.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm in the same boat. I've had CCNA study materials for years, and I just never got around to it. From what I understand, you can use all the 801 study materials, but just don't study ISDN and IGRP since they are no longer part of the exam. You will, of course, need to get an updated 802 resource at some point, so you can learn the new material.
  • Options
    Julie JonesJulie Jones Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If IGRP and ISDN are no longer on the exam, all my procrastination is justified! But I can't find any reference to this on the Cisco Website. ISDN still appears on the new Preplogic 15-minute study guide (email I received today).

I hate the Cisco website... anyone have a link to a list of topics for the new exam?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Julie JonesJulie Jones Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Is it just me or does it seem a little more focused than the previous exam? Whatever, no ISDN/IGRP is good news to me. I work in the industry and never use that stuff.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Thanks! Is it just me or does it seem a little more focused than the previous exam? Whatever, no ISDN/IGRP is good news to me. I work in the industry and never use that stuff.

They added security and NAT and they are extremely needed. ISDN/IGRP? I too don't recall seeing any ISDN setup. We do have some branches that use EIGRP, but that's a different beast.