Options

Do you study un-interrupted?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm wondering how people study for certifications/IT. With all things around us, TV, game, iPODs, youtube, family, cellphones, snacks, news, movies and many other things, it seems almost impossible to study uninterrupted for even 45 minutes.

So the question is, do you study undisturbed for one hour? How do you resist listening to music and watching TV while you study/read?

Comments

• Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I try my best to study uninterupted. I have a g/f and 9 month old kid though so it's very hard to isolate myself from them. I don't do well with interuption because I am in deep thought and deep concentration when I study. I try not to get frustrated and just deal with it. I study in complete silence. Sometimes when I read, I turn all the lights out except for the light over my book. This helps be block out everything thats not study material.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    I can hear you man!

If you study the life of most scientists and philosophers, they had been very focused individuals and followed simple lives while they achieved inventions and discoveries.

Maybe I pickup a couple of rotuers and switches and live in a Rocky Mountains cave for a few years :)
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    The best way I know if you don’t want to be disturbed studying is to do it at night when everyone is sound asleep. Same with netstudent, I’m also a family man and it’s also hard for me to get a good time studying, so i do it at night. icon_wink.gif No one can resist listening to music when studying unless you can perform a trance and isolate yourself to the real world. (if i can only do that icon_lol.gif )

Best thing is find yourself a study room where you can lock yourself to avoid annoyance. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    funk soul brotherfunk soul brother Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just make the target for yourself.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Same here, I have a wife and a 8 week old baby. I do my best studying Saturday and Sunday morning before anyone wakes up sleeping.gif

-ken
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just plan on taking a couple of hours to sit down and study. It is focus time! The struggle for me is just simply sitting down. ^_^

I usually have light music on in the background.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have a wife and kids also. I study in the morning or at night. I try to sneak some study at work also, but it usually gets intereupted so I mostly just do review at work. When I do labs I usually listen to some music though. When I read I need scilence.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    I start my day at 5:30 a.m. already as it is, so I don't see myself going any earlier to study in the morning when it is truly quiet. I just had to learn to deal with the interruptions as best I could. I have enough discipline that when I study I do not have the desire to listen to music, watch television, or read non-study material. It is often phone calls which I need to take that become my greatest distraction, so I just had to learn to deal with it and get back to what I was doing. I usually fill up my 2 liter water bottle or several glasses of water so I am not constantly leaving to refill my water (though I need a quick bathroom break every hour or so with how often I drink).

I prefer to study when it is quiet. First time reviewing anything is usually when it is silent and I have a computer available to test and play with what I am reading. If I review it a second time I usually do so while exercising on an elliptical or while listening to quiet classical music (preferably with either piano or violin as the primary instrument) as these methods help to trigger my memory later (as long as I understand it first).
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I also have a wife, and we are trying to move. So recently, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to study lately, especially since my lab is about to be packed up; along with the other issues that come with moving. I also am on call pretty much 24/7 so as soon as something comes up, its time to put the book down and work. My best study days are the ones when I don't get any emails or calls in for help; which lately are fewer and fewer. I have completed exams in the past with distractions before, so I figured it was going to be fine. However, I DO NOT recommend moving/studying at the same time if you can avoid it.

I just need the determination back, but right now all my focus is on moving.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Schluep wrote:
    I start my day at 5:30 a.m.

That's imperssive! In my wildest dreams I can't imagine [although I dearly wish] to wake up that early icon_sad.gif

Can it be said that late-wakers, e.g. myself who sleep 8-10 hrs are lazy?
  • Options
    binarysoul wrote:
    Schluep wrote:

That's imperssive! In my wildest dreams I can't imagine [although I dearly wish] to wake up that early icon_sad.gif

I work from 6am-2:30pm as well.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    I used to enjoy my 8 hours of sleep.

Now im happy when i get 6.
  • Options
    NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□

Your not the only one...BY thursday or friday, the accumulation of lost sleep starts to play hell on study/school concentration.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Netstudent wrote:

Your not the only one...

definitely icon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    SchluepSchluep Member Posts: 346
    binarysoul wrote:
    Schluep wrote:

Heh, I wouldn't say that all. If you have more energy and are more productive getting the extra sleep could allow you to get more accomplished than you would otherwise and can often outwork the people who get less if the discipline is there.

I average about 6 hours per night, though it would be nice at some point to start getting more. I don't see it happening anytime soon with my current schedule however.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I have a wife but no kids... I study best when she is sleeping... luckily she works early in the morning and goes to bed early at night :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sometimes if I stay up too late studying I'm too tired by the next night to even concentrate. If I read I start to doze off. I try to get seven hours, but if I hit something interesting it ends up more like four or five.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    *topic title*

Ah...hah...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

There are various places I know of to study. In my home there is peace and quiet, but I get easily distracted and little is accomplished. ;) I used to study for all my certs in coffee shops, which were loud sometimes...but my burning concentration would always get the job done. I also liked to eat or drink something while I'm working away.

Recently I discovered a library nearby which is pretty quiet, but then again...no food or drink. <_<
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    katel2kkatel2k Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    waking up the thread... hehehe I also have a 6 month old kid and a wife, Im on the midshift at work, I find it difficult to find time to study at night as i am exhausted. Also, i cannot resist to hold my cute kid. What I do right now is wake up in the morning around 4am and study for 2 to 3 hours.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    This especially helps for those of you who find it difficult to find a place to study, or just can't concentrate longer than an hour or so...

When I was in college, I'd get up in the morning, study before no one else woke up, and then got to class 30 minutes to an hour ahead, and study there. This gives you the breaks you need, and provides you with isolated time to study as well.

I applied this within IT as well. If I have to be at a jobsite at let's say 9am, I get up at 6:30 for example, get ready, study for 30 minutes, leave, get there by 8 or 8:30, and study again. If it's a workplace that will interrupt you, find someplace nearby where you can study without interruption. The other nice thing about this is it helps prevent showing up late to work from a traffic jam or something unforeseen.

As for listening to music, I find it's not that music is distracting, but certain kinds of music is distracting to me. If it's complex or new music I haven't heard, I get distracted. Things more simple that I've heard a lot often times get me energized. I actually have a playlist of music that does that for me, and I play that when I study. Obviously, your mileage may vary on that.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My day begins the good Army way, at 5:30am till 5pm.

I find that I cannot study if I have the T.V. or anything like that, because that just makes it even harder, considering the area by my apartment is ridiculously loud 24x7. I'm actually going to try a somewhat new approach to studying- drive 2 miles to the library, at the same time each day, and just sit down and study. I think this will be a lot better, since it feels more like a true "studying" environment since I generally associate my room with Xbox and watching movies..not studying.
  • Options
    freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    We have an internet cafe closeby, 5 miles or so.
    On days off I go there in the morning and study until my posterior gets sore. No distractions, beethoven's ninth in the earbuds and VPN into my home lab. I get SO much studying done that way. It works for me.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    binarysoul wrote:
    So the question is, do you study undisturbed for one hour? How do you resist listening to music and watching TV while you study/read?
    I do most of my studying at odd hours in the morning where theres nothing good on TV and no one is awake :)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    Whoa... weird browser problem posted in this thread. Ignore post.

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Since I have the 'gift' of ADHD, I something to distract other parts of my brain so I can focus when I study. The best way I found was quiet music - preferably without lyrics - so I wind up listening to movie scores. This also helps block out the ambient noise of my apartment complex.
  • Options
    ScotteeScottee Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had the attic of my house converted into a room, and keep a doule bed and a PC up there. If i need to study using a video course, I just sit at the desk in silence, if i need to read a book to study, I chill out on the bed. Its pretty much silent, as its 3rd storey so the girlfriend and dogs (two big noisey german shepards!) cant be heard.

If I am trying to study, i tend to unplug the network cable from my PC, so even if I want to get distracted, I cant (unless its to look something up on here ;))
  • Options
    Aquabat [banned]Aquabat [banned] Inactive Imported Users Posts: 299
    yea i don't even know what to to anymore, i think i have super adhd or something, or mabye i just hate reading about ipsec after a long period of time,

i usually read like one book a day. literature/political

but i open my pix book and i fall asleep after like 5 minutes

i'll get the network warrior book, mabye that'll cure my rls
    i herd u leik mudkips lol
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote:
    I'm wondering how people study for certifications/IT. With all things around us, TV, game, iPODs, youtube, family, cellphones, snacks, news, movies and many other things, it seems almost impossible to study uninterrupted for even 45 minutes.

Avoid listening to music? Never. I personally study best with music blasting in my ear at right around 100 decibels. Without that constant sound in my ear then I'm left with TRUE distractions. For me constant noise is much better than the sporadic.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I listen to music when I study. I don't get too distracted unless people keep coming up to me to talk or ask questions.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm one of the music listeners as well as I study much better with music going on. Albeit it needs to be just instrumental and not with vocals because the vocals can be distracting. What's going on around me doesn't really distract too much unless someone's watching a movie. Doesn't matter what language. It is completely distracting, even if I've seen it a hundred times.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/