Options

icnd1 exam

hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
hi all,

im currently reading through the ccent/ccna icnd 1 book and have got to the chapter "LAN Switching"

just wondered if there are any simulations in the icnd1 exam on switches

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The NDA will prevent anyone who has taken the exam from answering your question, but I would say be ready for anything.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The ICND1 Exam Blueprint has a Implement a small switched network section

While there are "select," "explain," and "Identify" tasks -- the "perform," "verify," and "implement" tasks sound like things you should be prepared to Demonstrate for the exam.
        * Perform, save and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management

* Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands

* Implement and verify basic security for a switch (port security, deactivate ports)

Anyone who has taken the exam has agreed to the Cisco NDA and can't tell you what they saw. And anyone planning to take Cisco exams is expected to follow the Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy.

Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement

The main guts of the Cisco NDA is "contents of the exam are confidential."
    You agree that the contents of the exam are confidential and that the disclosure of that information could compromise the integrity of the Program and of Certifications. Cisco makes exams available to you solely to test your knowledge of the exam subject matter for which you seek Certification. You are expressly prohibited from disclosing, publishing, reproducing, or transmitting any exam and any related information including, without limitation, questions, answers, worksheets, computations, drawings, diagrams, length or number of exam segments or questions, or any communication, including oral communication regarding or related to the exam (known collectively as “Proprietary Information”), in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, oral or written, electronic or mechanical, for any purpose, without the prior express written permission of Cisco.

Cisco Candidate Conduct Policy
    No candidate will take any action that will compromise the integrity or confidentiality of a Cisco Certification examination or otherwise compromise the integrity of the Cisco Certification program. Such actions include but are not limited to:
    • Disseminating actual exam content via web postings, discussion groups, chat rooms, study guides, etc.

:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    Just remember to study and know everything related with STP within those books....designated ports etc. CCNA loves asking you about STP
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Hi hodgey87!

Take to heart what the above posts tell you. And, cruise through the other posts on this forum. I find a lot of advice that agrees with my experience.

I assume that you are reading the Cisco Press book by Odom. Finish the book and watch the lab DVD. You need to use more than one study source as well.

Do something that makes the whole thing real to you. Go to eBay or something and buy a 95-cent router and switch, get a console cable, and get busy. With shipping costs, you can skip a few Big Mac lunches and pay for them. If you fire them up and have to break into them to use them, it's all the better. Instructions on doing that are everywhere on Google. It will cost a little cash along with a lot of time in order to get prepared for the real thing--not just an exam. The prompt on the old cheapy looks just like the prompt on the thousands-of-dollars devices.

I am 61 years old, and I have been woking as some kind of technician amd taking cert exams all of my working days. Believe me, if someone breaks NDA, it will not do you one bit of good. It would be no favor to you.

After studying the Cisco world for about a month now, I beleive that in the last 2 days all of that time and cash have been justified. I have had to spend a few hours on the job in wiring closets, hooking up patch cables to punch boards and, yesterday, I had a 48-port switch went completely dead. And, I did it all right! I don't have rights to get into routers and switches, but just knowing what they are and how they hook up, will give you a world of confidence.

Well, I hope to work until I'm 70 before I retire......or win the lottery. I would prefer the second choice. But, just in case, I'm staying with the Cisco studies.

Good luck! Take care of yourself because nobody else will!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    hi,

i appreciate all of your replies

yes im currently using the ccna certification library - wendell odom

i do have some a couple of 2501 routers and a 2950 switch hopefully this will be sufficient enough for the ccna studies

anything else you could reccomend

icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    I started with 2 2501s and I acquired a 2950. I read that 2 2950s will help with the VLAN trunking studies. I'm still bargain hunting.

But, did a fun thing just minutes ago. I booted up my old 4000, 4-dollar router for the first time, in which I had installed a 4-serial-port NP module. I got a crash and a memory error. I could not find anything on Google, so I took the serial module out and it went to the router> prompt. I replaced a 2-token -ring module with the serial module, and now viola', I have a working router.
    I carry slight Cisco tech aroma already!

Well, had to share that with someone. It is exciting. So, I recommend that you get your hands dirty. It just sparks more interest.

Oh, and what did I cover the open slot with? DUCT TAPE!, of course. This is a real man's machine. (lol)
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki