Options

Broadcast

EvertonianEvertonian Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
what does a router do when it recives a broacast IP address

i.e. if a router say R5 receives a packet with a destination address 192.168.1.255?

will it send this out all of its interfaces? or send it to all hosts on that 192.168.1 NW with layer 2 FFFFFFFF?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This can depend, if the destination subnet is directly connected to the router it will send it to the "FFFF.FFFF.FFFF" MAC address if ip directed-broadcast is enabled on the interface. If the destination subnet is not directly connected it will route the packet to the destination subnet.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dtlokee wrote:
    This can depend, if the destination subnet is directly connected to the router it will send it to the "FFFF.FFFF.FFFF" MAC address if ip directed-broadcast is enabled on the interface. If the destination subnet is not directly connected it will route the packet to the destination subnet.

You sure it won't check arp cache first of all dt? You are of course ok to prove me wrong as usual :D
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.