Options

Learning a lot here

wxbosswxboss Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I found this site just the other day, and all I can say is, Wow! What a great wealth of resources here!

About a year ago, I was getting all my pre-requisite classes out of the way and was ready to delve into the core Cisco classes (finally :D ) when a promotion at work moved me into a different schedule which completely conflicted with the classes I needed.

Now, a year later, as I looked to continue my classes (moved to a more accomodating shift at work), I've found that the school switched the program of study the Cisco classes were in which requires me to start over from the beginning (rats).

Not wanting to waste anymore time or money, I bought some books and am committed to self study for the CCNA.

I say all this because you can expect to see some crazy questions from me, and I wanted to give you all a little background so you don't think I'm completely nuts :D

Anways, I'm so glad to have found this great site with great support from the mods and members (definitely an active place here).

I'll be lurking a lot and post the occassional crazy question, but it's nice to be among fellow 'students' that are willing to help out others who need it.

Cheers,
Pete

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck. Don't forget the women. >_< :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome aboard Pete, thanks for introducing yourself. :)

Good luck on your studies, and don't be shy about posting "crazy" questions. icon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Welcome :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    Mishra wrote:
    Good luck. Don't forget the women. >_< :)
    That's half the struggle :)

Thanks for the welcomes.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wxboss wrote:
    you can expect to see some crazy questions from me
    Crazy questions go in the Off-Topic Forum, even if you work CCNA into the questions (e.g., How many CCNAs does it take to change a light bulb?).

Questions, preferably based on your reading the Odom Certification Library or Todd's Sybex book (6th Edition), are fine -- but you might want to search the CCNA Forum first, since most of the good crazy questions have already been asked. :D You're best bet for new crazy questions will be in the new topics being covered in the updated 640-802 exam.

And remember -- friends don't let friends post drunk.

Welcome to the CCNA Forum!

Oh -- None (unless you work in a small company), get someone A+ Certified. Changing a light bulb is an entry level hardware problem that doesn't involve networking (yet). icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    wxboss,
    wxboss wrote:
    I found this site just the other day, and all I can say is, Wow! What a great wealth of resources here!

About a year ago, I was getting all my pre-requisite classes out of the way and was ready to delve into the core Cisco classes (finally :D ) when a promotion at work moved me into a different schedule which completely conflicted with the classes I needed.

When you mention "...the core Cisco classes..." was your school a Cisco Networking Academy?
    wxboss wrote:
    Now, a year later, as I looked to continue my classes (moved to a more accomodating shift at work), I've found that the school switched the program of study the Cisco classes were in which requires me to start over from the beginning (rats).

Be advised that, for non-Cisco Networking Academy Program students, the last day to take the 640-801 CCNA generation of Cisco exams was 06 November 2007. So your new "...Cisco classes...," assuming your school is a Cisco Networking Academy, may be using either the "CCNA Explorations" or "CCNA Discovery" programs.
    wxboss wrote:
    Not wanting to waste anymore time or money, I bought some books and am committed to self study for the CCNA.

Again, assuming your school is a Cisco Networking Academy Program, you will gain at least three benefits: 1) A Cisco Networking Academy Program is required to give you lab time experience using up to date actual Cisco equipment and IOS which is one of the biggest expenses of going the self-study route (pun intended) 2) you will have access to the online curriculum materials at http://cisco.netacad.net for as long as you at least pass the Cisco semester as well as remember your username and password and 3) If you graduate all the way to the fourth semester and you pass the voucher exam, you may be eligible for a discount voucher for the actual Cisco exam fee.
    wxboss wrote:
    I say all this because you can expect to see some crazy questions from me, and I wanted to give you all a little background so you don't think I'm completely nuts :D

Anways, I'm so glad to have found this great site with great support from the mods and members (definitely an active place here).

I'll be lurking a lot and post the occassional crazy question, but it's nice to be among fellow 'students' that are willing to help out others who need it.

Cheers,
    Pete

Welcome to the human network(Cisco tm). :)
  • Options
    When I said "Core Cisco classes" I was referring to Cisco I - V which my college did offer as part of the Cisco Networking Academy Program. I had already completed the A+ courses that were required by the school prior to delving into the Cisco program itself.

I do realize the benefits of taking the classes in school, believe me. And if I really wanted to take the additional time to persue them by retracing steps I had already taken, I would do so. But I'm growing weary of this college and their continual 'reinventions' of their programs which often results in wasted time and money (especially in this case).

I've wanted to work in this field for quite a while, and it seems like everytime I get close, I get sidelined somehow. So now I'm going to go the self study route and elicit the help of some friends who work in the IT department and start building on a career that I am very excited about entering.

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice, and many of you have given me things to think about that I hadn't thought of, but I'm determined to get started and move on instead of taking two steps back and spend more valuable time attempting to get to where I was before the college changed their program.

I'm not anti-school - I just don't want to keep putting off what I've wanted to do for some time now. :)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey man,

Good luck on your CCENT and CCNA! I picked my CCNA up a few months ago and I must say, the things I learned there have helped me out in my MCSA studies as well as at work. When things seems trivial and pointless, don't loose focus. It all comes into perspective later down the road.
    -Daniel