Options

taking RHCE in less than 2 weeks

This board seems to be pretty dead, which is surprising because the RHCE is supposedly one of the hottest certs right now. I know it seems very well respected at my organization (a Fortune 50 company), and that's the primary reason I'm studying for it. My fellow coworkers, some of which are more knowledgeable than me, claim that it's very difficult. I'll report my thoughts here when I take it.

I've been studying for about two months, and I have about 6 years of work experience. However, there were some topics listed for the exam that I had not been exposed to in very much depth before. These included Sendmail, Squid, PAM, and NIS. I should also mention that the book I'm using is the one by Michael Jang:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Engineer-Linux-Study-Certification/dp/0072264543/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1196177032&sr=8-1

...and it is AWESOME. My coworkers who passed the RHCE claim that it was completely accurate and the labs representative of what was actually on the exam. This is seriously one of the most practical, comprehensive, and well-written IT books I've read, and I've read many. Some parts are a bit repetitive, but that is my only complaint. Check it out if you are studying for this exam.

Comments

• Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, glad to see you going for this. Definately keep us updated on your progress! Thanks for the book review too, I may check it out.

Although this exam is "hot" as far as Linux certs go, it is quite pricey. Also, of all the IT folks out there, those who administer linux/unix systems seem to be the least concerned with or impressed by certifications. I guess maybe it's just "old school" thought?

Best of luck! :)
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    I passed today by a very comfortable margin. I was well-prepared, and knew the material. Still, it was no walk in the park. I made some bad judgements during the installation process and had to restart it repeatedly. So, time became my enemy. I was under serious time constraints, and this was a serious problem for the rest of the students as well. I would like to reiterate how good the book I mentioned in the original post is. If you study this book and do the labs, you'll pass the exam.
  • Options
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

What advice would you offer for others thinking about this one as far as time management?

I see you really endorsed the book. Wanna trade it to me for something else? :D
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29024
  • Options
    borumasborumas Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, that is a very respectable certification to have. :)
  • Options
    hjcoumanshjcoumans Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation.

One of my biggest problems with RHCE is the fact that if you're not living it west (as I currently do) or apparently in Indonesia, doing exam is a nightmare.
    So for me the choice fell on LPIC because VUE examcenters are available, even in this village (well plm 750 000 citizens).

A few years ago I had M. Yang's RHCE book, covering RHEL3 and was not really impressed by it. A couple years before that I attended RHCE (6.2) fast track course and failed the exam.....
    By that time it still has 3 parts: Troubleshooting, Theory and Installation. And with an overall score of 80% you had to be good.
    I missed 2 out of 4 troubleshoot practise exams and was doomed to fail. 1 of them I didn't see, the other was a completely artificial problem. At that time I was working for a dedicated internet hosting center (customers are completely in control of their server), and I had all kind of support calls to deal with. These included deletion of the root account and removing group and other rights on all files. The latter needed a reinstallation as you will understand.
    If I had scored close to 100% on the theory exam, I would have passed.

I did some research on locations where to do RHCE exam, but never found the answer.
    Is there someone who could help me on this? I mean outside of USA and Western-Europe.

Regards,

Han Coumans
    ToDolist: (deep breath) (roughly in sequence) 70-291, 70-290, Security+, 70-270, 70-294, LPIC-2, (out-of-sequence) CCDP 70-299, CWNA, EXIN ISF, CISSP, 8 more EXIN exams and some more work...... BS
  • Options
    hjcoumans wrote:
    I did some research on locations where to do RHCE exam, but never found the answer.
    Is there someone who could help me on this? I mean outside of USA and Western-Europe.

Maybe you can try to contact them via one of these email addresses (not sure which one would be best for Viet Nam):

https://www.redhat.com/training/contact/worldwide.html
  • Options
    silentc1015silentc1015 Member Posts: 128
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

What advice would you offer for others thinking about this one as far as time management?

I see you really endorsed the book. Wanna trade it to me for something else? :D
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29024

I'd love to sprkymrk, but my employer actually bought the book. As a consequence, it's now part of the company IT library. I'll keep an eye on that thread though, and I've love to participate in the book trading :D
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good job. I intend to do the CLP myself later next year and knock out the Solaris SCNA and SCSA. Long overdue those to backup my prior Solaris experience.