Options

what website can I use to find my public Ip with subnet mask

nice343nice343 Member Posts: 391
I know of websites that you can go to check your public IP address. Anyone one knows of a website where I can find the Ip address and the subnet mask?
My daily blog about IT and tech stuff
http://techintuition.com/

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    www.portforward.com will show the external IP address on the first page, but there are others.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Shields up will show your public IP as well as do port scans to test for security vulnerabilities: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

I don't think there is a way for a remote website to determine your subnet though.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think the mask can be read from a remote host. It's only relevant locally to provide a logical representation of your topology to TCP/IP. External routers will summarise routes that may ultimately include your IP but only use whatever mask best suits that route.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    cacharo wrote:
    www.whatismyip.com

the only one I use
  • Options
    JdotQJdotQ Member Posts: 230
    cacharo wrote:
    www.whatismyip.com
    I also use this one.

But another one is http://www.ipchicken.com/
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As has been said there is no way to determine your sub-net mask from the internet.

Well at some point the powers that be will have assigned your ISP a block of IP address, but this may be entire clas B network, they will the have subnetted this and decided what parts of it they will assign to there clients (ie you) what they will use for web hosting and other services ect and what will be reserved.

If you have been assigned a static IP addres then it should be registered and doing a look up on your external IP at whois.net will show you who the address is registered and what range they own.

for example Google has an IP (from here) of 173.194.34.67

NetRange: 173.194.0.0 - 173.194.255.255
    CIDR: 173.194.0.0/16
    OriginAS: AS15169

that is about the best you will find
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    SettSett Member Posts: 187
    If you want to see how the internet hosts route traffic to your external IP just go to any looking glass or route-server, for example route-server.ip.att.net and check the route for your external IP there. It would be summarized route, there is no way you could check the locally configured subnet mask. Well, technically you could send mask request ICMP message, but the chances are that these are filtered.
    Non-native English speaker
  • Options
    swabbiesswabbies Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hurricane Electric BGP Toolkit contains interesting information regarding your source ip and how it is advertised from your carrier.
    thanks,
    Swabbies
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    swabbies wrote: »
    Hurricane Electric BGP Toolkit contains interesting information regarding your source ip and how it is advertised from your carrier.

Cool, thanks!