A little something i've noticed

sprinkl3ssprinkl3s Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been going through the threads lately and majority of people who have failed are not using the Cisco press books. whereas the majority of people who have passed are using the cisco press books.

I know that for the best results you should use more then one. but maybe the Odom books should be more recommended for CCNA opposed to the Lammle (his book is good, but leaves a lot to the imagination).

Anyways just an opinion...

Comments

• CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Im on chapter 4 so far.
    I hope to take the 802 in March some time.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always thought the Sybex book was easier to read, but lacked some of the technical materials. The Cisco Press book was more difficult to follow, but was more complete. My advice would be to use them both. Read the Sybex book to get the general understanding and then hit the Cisco Press books. If you start looking around, you will notice that some of the content in the Cisco Press books comes directly from the Cisco documentation CD.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I always recommend the Odom Cisco Certificaiton Library for people with no experience, and so do a lot of other people here.

Someone with knowledge and experience with Cisco may want to take a short cut and just use Sybex -- and that's fine.

Other people are just looking for the fastest and easiest way to get their CCNA and Todd's Sybex book is a "fun read" compared to the effort needed to really learn the material in the Odom books. That's why we suggest to those people who only used Todd's Sybex book and failed the exam to get the Odom books. And that is part of the learning experience for some people.

We can lead a CCNA Candidate to Odom's Cisco Press CCNA Certification Library, but we can't make them buy it and read it.

The same goes for hands-on lab practice -- most people don't get enought. But there are some people who try to do the CCNA without any at all and just figure they can memorize a few commands.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I agree, both books are must for success.

I also found most Sybex only test takers get lower scores. But after my experience, I would say you need them both. but then again, I came into this with NO background at all.
    -Daniel
  • steveo1985steveo1985 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed using the odom books, they are loads better.... failed with the sybex book :P
  • NetstudentNetstudent Member Posts: 1,693 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm also an advocate of sybex then cisco press. Thats what I did and it worked out very well for me.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1 BUT 209.62.5.3 is my 127.0.0.1 away from 127.0.0.1!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I read the Odom books first then I read the sybex book after just to have another source. I didn't think it was very good. It leaves a lot to be desired if you don't have the ciscopress books as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • yukkyyukky Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What kind of things are included in the Cisco Press books that are not included in the Sybex book? or what kind of things needed to be looked into with more detail?
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    In my opinion the Ciscopress books go into greater detail on all of the subjects with better diagrams and explenations. They are all around better books in my opinion. I would use Ciscopress and the Cisco docs to study and not any other books if I had to do it over.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I've got the Sybex book, and I can't help but feel slightly disappointed now-- I suppose the best thing to do would be to finish it ASAP, log more hours on the console line, and go through the Cisco Press books?

Is CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (CCNA Exam 640-802) (3rd Edition) (Exam Certification Guide) the right thing to get?

Anyone ever try the CCNA Video Mentor? There seems to be a new one coming at the end of this month.
    Buying hardware for a home lab is addicting-- (Need.. more.. toys...) **(need.. more.. money)
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Along with the use of Cisco Press I'd also recommend Chris Bryant's eBook it was well written for the old version of the exams and I believe he's working on the new version. :D
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shednik wrote:
    Along with the use of Cisco Press I'd also recommend Chris Bryant's eBook it was well written for the old version of the exams and I believe he's working on the new version. :D

I contacted him about getting a revised version since I never had a chance to use the old one I purchased. He said the new revision will be ready December 10th, and if you've purchased the product in the past, but don't you have your cert yet, it's a free upgrade.
    I have a problem with eBooks, or anything online. I always get distracted by something else. Maybe I need a computer which can only run one task at a time :P
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    yukky wrote:
    I have a problem with eBooks, or anything online. I always get distracted by something else. Maybe I need a computer which can only run one task at a time :P

Make an alternate hosts file where you redirect all your favorite sites to 127.0.0.1 and put that in place whenever you're studying.
    dynamik wrote:
    yukky wrote:

Make an alternate hosts file where you redirect all your favorite sites to 127.0.0.1 and put that in place whenever you're studying.
    Self-discipline is a difficult thing to master...
  • mrjmrj Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yukky wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    yukky wrote:

Self-discipline is a difficult thing to master...

I have a script that disables my eth0 for a given allotment of time, I usually set it to 4 hours. I still spend an hour goofing off, but after that I'll get studying.

Anyhow, onto the subject at hand, the Odom books go far more in-depth, a lot of the information is not necessary to pass the test, but is necessary to know what's going on. But, like any self-study curriculum, it's up to the person learning whether or not they will study well enough to pass.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:
    shednik wrote:

I contacted him about getting a revised version since I never had a chance to use the old one I purchased. He said the new revision will be ready December 10th, and if you've purchased the product in the past, but don't you have your cert yet, it's a free upgrade.

Yea he's a good guy he loves hearing people passing from his products, his books will def be part of my CCNP studies.
  • freetechfreetech Member Posts: 154
    I've tried self-discipline but I always get distracted.
    Seriously, the best thing I found was the Bryant e-book. But you have to also read the Odom books for a little depth.
    And of course, there is no substitute for the home lab.
    Experience is a harsh teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.